Karkare's response to a death threat: A 'smiley'
Y P Rajesh Posted: Nov 27, 2008 at 1637 hrs IST
ATS chief Hemant Karkare was killed in the Mumbai seige

Mumbai: The last days of Maharashtra Anti-Terrorism Squad (ATS) chief
Hemant Karkare were probably some of the busiest in his 26-year career
in the Indian Police Service (IPS), and apparently tormented as well.

The ATS believed it had cracked the September 29 Malegaon bomb blast
case, and about a month ago arrested Hindu extremists in a
breakthrough that shocked the nation and added a new twist to the
entire discourse on Terror and religion.

But as the probe unravelled the alleged plot and the role of some
Hindu leaders, the case got caught in the politics of terror and the
ATS was at the centre of charges that it was being used as a tool to
target the Sangh Parivar amid allegations of illegal detention and
torture by some of the 11 arrested for the blast.

The BJP, RSS and VHP leaders, among others from the Hindu nationalist
brigade, accused the ATS of being on a witch-hunt, with some even
demanding that ATS officers be subjected to a narco-analysis to
establish their motives.

No less a leader than the BJP's Prime Ministerial candidate, L K
Advani, had demanded a change in the ATS team and a judicial inquiry
into the torture allegations made by Sadhvi Pragya Singh Thakur, a key
suspect in the Malegaon case.

The Shiv Sena too had come out in support of the suspects and on
Wednesday had threatened in its mouthpiece Saamna that it would
publish the names of some ATS officers and shame them as it said they
had tortured the Malegaon suspects.

That Karkare was affected by this was apparent when we met at his
office on Tuesday to get an update on the probe, less than 36 hours
before he was killed. The Indian Express has decided to break the
confidence of what was an off-the-record conversation in an attempt to
highlight the anguish of the investigators over the currents in which
the Malegaon probe was getting caught as well as the larger debate
over the politics of terror.

"I don't know why this case has become so political," was one of
Karkare's first comments. "The pressure is tremendous and I am
wondering how to extricate it from all the politics."

Was the pressure telling on the investigation, what with someone who
could be the next prime minister of the country questioning the
credibility of the ATS?

"Of course," was the answer. "We are being very very careful. In fact,
when we want to question a suspect and if he or she has any
Hindutvawadi connections, we make sure once, twice, thrice, that we
have enough reason and evidence to even question. Normally it is not
like that. We are able to freely question anyone we suspect."

Related Stories: Pak backtracks: ISI chief too senior to visit
IndiaHad warned of terror via sea, claims J-K PoliceTaj sanitised, its
helpful staff back at workNo Pak hand clear yet: DeshmukhThey had
enough ammunition to kill 5,000 peopleFrench lingerie mogul among
victims
"In fact, immediately after the blast I had visited Malegaon along
with the Deputy Chief Minister and other officials and witnessed the
anger of the locals who shouted some slogans," Karkare said. "After
that I told my men that we have to pursue this case very objectively
and not start with assumptions that people of this community or that
community could be responsible."

Originally from Madhya Pradesh, Karkare studied mechanical engineering
in Nagpur and worked at the National Productivity Council and
Hindustan Lever before making it to the IPS in 1982. Known to be an
upright officer who served in the Research and Analysis Wing (RAW) as
well as the Indian mission in Vienna, Austria, as a counselor, Karkare
did not hide his love for Mumbai or his discomfort with the
predominantly political-bureaucratic culture of Delhi where he was
posted.

During a stint in the Chandrapur forests near Nagpur in 1991 to fight
Naxalites, he took an interest in driftwood, discovered artistic
shapes in them and converted them into wooden sculptures, making about
150 of them over a two-year period. Talking to the media about
sensitive cases such as Malegaon could prove to be a double-edged
sword, he had said as we parted, adding that he would like us to meet
informally once a month so that he could learn the ways of the media.

His last visuals as seen on TV showed him working with his men near
the VT station, the target of one of the attacks, although it is
perplexing at this point in time why such a senior officer ended up
getting exposed to a brazen terrorist attack. Initially, he was shown
wearing a shoddy helmet normally seen used by constables during riots.
A little later, a policeman lowers a flimsy bulletproof vest over his
shoulders, one that was obviously of little protection when those
fatal shots were fired at him.

The previous evening, hours after our meeting, TV channels had
'breaking news' that he had received a fresh death threat from some
unidentified caller, apparently in connection with the Malegaon probe.
An Indian Express reporter SMSed him asking him if this was true or if
he had anything to say. His reply: just a smiley.