RTI - Right to Ignore *Mountain of a Mole Hill!*

Remember the hill that came crashing down at Porvorim, and caused an
upheaval in your travel routine. Then there was this other one, opposite the
Ribandar ferry to Divar. This one went unnoticed, the PWD got into the act
rather quickly, and now it looks like a resident there has turned the open
space nature created, into a private car park. In Goa landslides can be
advantageous too. Like, the misfortune to you at Porvorim, turned out to be
a fortune for many up in the hill opposite and down in the divide. Who
cleaned up the mess, that is. As of October 17, 2008 (apparently there is
more to this) Sneha Engineering of Duler in Mapusa was paid Rs 87,06,578 to
remove the soil and debris that came down. In keeping with the Goa
government's understanding of a natural law (justice delayed, is not justice
denied) to mean instead 'justice denied, is justice delayed' none of the
culprits involved have been brought to book till date.

The other beneficiary of this land slid is NB Dhargalkar of Muquem in
Cuncolim who bid Rs 1,23,49,112 to build protection measures on the road
side embankment including construction of a retaining wall exactly 600
metres in length. To be precise, from the Km. 1/200 point to the Km. 1/800
point. I have no idea how much it cost the Chinese to restore selective
touristy portions of the Great Wall. Even if I did, would it matter? Would
it matter for that matter if you and I objected if the guys in the opposite
of the hill, now decided to smother the 'restored' hill side with ornamental
plants imported from Bali? Would it?

*Back to Books*

Trying to unlock the mysteries of the Central Library, I was offered this
spiel by the Directorate of Art & Culture. I report verbatim: "Construction
work of the new building was initiated by the Directorate of Education and
the initial plans were submitted by the Central Library in consultation with
library professionals to the Directorate of Education. Further, GSIDC had
also consulted eminent library professionals in this regard." I thought I
was better than the enemy at this RTI stuff after all these years. I am
humbled. I never thought of asking this bleeding question: 'Please give the
names of all the well-known, renowned, distinguished and famous librarians
you consulted?' Then of course, their reply would have been: 'We did not
consult any librarians, we only consulted library professionals.' RTI, as
you can see also means Right to Ignore.

I asked what books will be kept at the Central Library, the answer:
encyclopedias, handbooks, conference proceedings, yearbooks, manuals, law
books, general reading books like novels, dramas, poetries, memoirs, humour,
letters, biographies, basic books on engineering, science, architecture,
social studies, psychology, religion, economics, political science,
education, public administration, commerce, customs and tradition,
management, house building, sculptures, music, sports, philosophy, history
and geography along with maps, charts, CDs and DVDs. Phew!

*(Feedback 6658606, [EMAIL PROTECTED])*