WASHINGTON: Several attackers may have survived the three-day siege of Mumbai
that killed 171 people last week, analysts said on Thursday.
“I think there are more. My sources say (there were) at least 23 gunmen,” said
Farhana Ali, a former CIA and Rand Corp counterterrorism analyst and expert on
militant networks.
Ali, who visited India and Pakistan last month before the attacks, said her
information came from Pakistan.
“If that’s true, that makes one wonder why we haven’t seen more attacks? Are
they lying low?” she said, “I think they (Indian authorities) are bracing
themselves for more,” she said at a briefing for the US government
counterterrorism and military officials, and others.
Indian authorities have said 10 gunmen took part in the Mumbai attacks last
week. But earlier reports cited that there were around 25 gunmen.
Authorities captured one, who was interrogated, and killed nine. Indian and US
officials blame the attacks on Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT).
A US counterterrorism official said, “Is there a possibility that some LeT
terrorists are still out there? Yes, but we have to wait and see because all
the information is not in yet.”
David Kilcullen, who has served as a senior counterterrorism adviser to US
General David Petraeus and Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice, said he agreed
that were probably more attackers, who equipped themselves with fake
identification and wore Western clothes with clean-shaven faces, indicating
they probably did not view the attack as a suicide operation.
“The fact that they lost nine out of 10 identified attackers killed doesn’t
necessarily indicate that it was intended to have all those people dying,” he
said.
“The Indians said there were 10 attackers, based on the fact that they captured
one and killed nine - you have to assume there are more out there,” he said.
He noted, however, that there was no short-term follow-up attack on a target
such as a hospital treating victims. The fighters had high-level professional
training, Kilcullen said.
http://www.dnaindia.com/report.asp?newsid=1211757