* * * * * * * * *       ANNUAL  GOANETTERS  MEET       * * * * * * * * *

  Goanetters in Goa and visiting meet Jan 6, 2009 at 3.30 pm at Hotel
Mandovi (prior to the Goa Sudharop event, which you're also welcome to).
Join in for a Dutch dinner -- if we can agree on a venue after the meet.

   RSVP (confirmations only) 9822122436 or 2409490 or f...@goa-india.org

--- On Mon, 1/5/09, Frederick "FN" Noronha <f...@goa-india.org> wrote:

> Could Santosh tell us where he derrived this understanding from?
>

>From sources too many to remember in the American news media. But here are two
>that I found just now, elsewhere:

1. An article entitled "The three foundations of journalism" at -
http://www.rap21.org/article18465.html

Here is the pertinent quote under the subheading "Accuracy":

"Accuracy: Every journalists code stresses the need for accuracy. There are no
prizes for being fast and wrong. Writing for a journalist is the skill of
presenting information clearly, concisely and effectively. It is based on hard
facts, so the reporter must know how and where to find reliable information. A
critical challenge is how to reconcile conflicting accounts of the same event.
Many journalistic organisations insist on the two source rule that means that
every fact must be confirmed by two independent sources before it can be taken
as reliable."

2. An article entitled "Media and Conflict in the Philippines" from the
Committee of Concerned Journalists at -
http://www.concernedjournalists.org/media-and-conflict-philippines

Here is the pertinent quote under the subheading "Dispassionate Reporting":

"Recognizing the fallibility, if not the occasional deceit of sources,
individual reporters and various news organizations develop standards for
testing the truthfulness of a story. Are two or more independent sources
providing the same information? Did the journalist see and hear the evidence
himself or herself or get it secondhand? What are the credibility, reputation
and motivation of the source?"

Cheers,

Santosh