My friend Eddie Verdes forwarded me a mail he had received. With his
permission I am posting the request here with the name and address of
the (female) sender edited out.

-------------
Subject: goan picnic songs

Hi Eddie,
This is Xxoxoxox from Bombay.  Was just browsing the webstie and got
yr email address.  Do you have the lyrics of the goan picinic songs
like:

Amaku malum, tumku malum, kisku malum hai - Bambai Meri Hai - Bimbo,
Bimbo whatcha gonna do-e-o - Daisy Daisy - Down by the Riverside -
Evening in Gay Maharastra - Guantanamera - Hello Dolly - In the Army -
Irani Serenade - John Brown's baby - Malaiaka - My Bonnie lies over
the ocean - O my darling Clementine - Oh You Can't go to Heaven -
Pontius Pilate King of the Jews - Ramona - Shame and Scandal in the
Family - Sleepy Joe - There's a Hole in the Bucket - Una Paloma Blanca
- Under the Mango Tree

If yes, pls email it to me.

Tks

-------------------

I don't know whether to laugh or cry. Either Eddie is pulling my leg
or this woman is set up by someone to bait us all. How come there's
not a single Konkani song in this bunch. How come there's nothing
remotely Goan about the list either? This looks like a collection of
songs East Indians or Anglo Indians would sing at a picnic. We do sing
English songs at Goan picnics but they are of a different variety.

In fact it makes as much sense as having the African Anthem 'Malaika'
included in a compilation book of Konkani songs. I am not a purist in
these matters but let's draw a distinction betwen what is Goan and
what is specific to other states/countries. If a miniscule section of
Goan migrant population has absorbed the culture of a different
state/country into their own let's have specific labelling. Eg: Shirly
Village Bandra Goan Picnic Songs or East Africa Goan Party Songs, but
please don't call them Goan songs or Konkani songs.

More about Goan Picnic Songs archived at:
http://www.mail-archive.com/goa...@goanet.org/msg04094.html
http://www.mail-archive.com/goa...@goanet.org/msg25770.html

Cheers!

Cecil