Cheers Dears
By Augusto Pinto

Viva Sai Baba! Jai Carnival!

Dears,

Mikhail Bakhtin was a great Russian literary critic. One of the things he dwelt
on
was the Carnival. He observed how during the Festival of Fools the world gets
turned
upside down; emperors lose their crowns and paupers become kings. All sense of
propriety is lost. Everyone irrespective of caste, race, profession and age
become
equals. The rich and the pompous, such as the politicians and the high priests
who
rule the world during the rest of the year are the objects of ridicule during
carnival time.

Bakhtin came to my mind this year on the first day of the Goa Carnaval, the so
-
called Fat Saturday. I happened to get stuck in Panjim as I needed to buy a
suit to
go for a wedding. Since the tailor needed some time to make some alterations, I
had
nothing better to do than to watch the float parade. I was bored to death.
Where was
the jolliness? Where was the riotous spirit of rebellion against authority?

This was no Bakhtinian carnival where profanity took centre stage, where
hierarchies
changed, where suppressed voices blared out against oppressors. No - this very
sanitised procession was very much a sarkari orchestrated tamasha. And as we
all
know anything that the sarkar touches turns into boredom. Disappointed by this
government and business sponsored show, I ended up staring at the the prettier
foreigners who came to witness the occasion like every other Indian male
tourist.

Later that evening, clad in my new suit I went for the reception of my young
relatives and watched the youngsters dancing away in gay abandon. The handsome
boys
and lovely were jiving and rocking to the beat of some good music. The girls,
were
clad in the latest outfits, which happen to be quite short and revealed a lot
of
glorious young skin. I think that this fashion has been inspired by the global
economic meltdown, as every effort has undoubtedly to be made now to save dress
material and therefore money.There was more Bakhtin here, I thought, than at
the
Carnaval.

Unfortunately I could not stay too long as for one thing my old lady does not
approve of me having too good a time, and for another I had an appointment
early
next morning. I left her and drove towards home. On the way I saw the road
packed
with people and driving became became slow and difficult. I could hear drums
rattling out a Ghoom - ta - kataar - Ghoom beat. Was this another carnival
parade?

Instead of struggling any further I decided to park my vehicle and watch. It
was not
a carnival show, but someone told me that they were waiting for a darshan of
Shirdi
Sai Baba's paduka or footwear. Curious I too decided to wait and see. It was
not a
long wait. A truck with the paduka appeared slowly wending its way with some
sadhus
on it distributing prasad. The crowd thronged towards it seeking a darshan,
many in
the modern style - that is with a mobile phone camera recording the event.

That's when I had my carnivalesque moment of the year. Throwing my agnosticism
the winds, I thought to myself, 'What the heck! If so many people think that
Shirdi
Sai Baba's paduka is good for them it must be good for me too, and I became
part of
the collective. Clutching my mobile phone in my left hand and my right hand
punching
the air chanting "Shirdi Sai Baba ki Jai!! Jai ho! Jai Ho! Jai Ho! Sai Baba!!
Jai
ho! Jai Ho! Jai Ho!" I moved towards the paduka in my elegant new black suit as
my
silver tie fluttered in the breeze. I could sense the crowd, many of whom were
wearing colourful sarees think that I was some sort of V.I.P. and make way for
me,
while just behind me came six bare chested young men wearing spotless white
dhoties,
beating their drums Ghoom - ta -kataar - Ghoom.

It must have been a pretty surreal sight to watch. I wonder if anyone who knows
the
usual sceptical me saw me there. Ultimately I never did make it to the paduka
as the
convoy of vehicles had to get to the next venue started to move ahead and I got
bit tired too... But I think I enjoyed myself more than at the Carnaval.

Till next time then...

Cheers   (ENDS)

The above article appeared in the February 25, 2009 edition of the Herald, Goa