 Remembering Aquino Braganca (b. 6 April 1924), who fought for freedom
     of the former Portuguese colonies in Africa. An online tribute
     http://aquinobraganca.wordpress.com/ (includes many historical
             references, some photographs and documents)

GULF-GOANS e-NEWSLETTER (since 1994)

A New Indian  Ambassador with a great vision.

-- by  N.C.Mohandoss & N. Lakshminarayanan

The long wait is over!! The new Ambassador has just arrived, all set to make a
difference. We walk into his office to convey our greetings & best wishes. Our
very first impression is “here is a visionary!!” wanting to give a boost to the
NRI community in Kuwait.  It is initial days at his office, in the midst of a
very busy schedule, yet considering our request His Excellency was so humble as
to provide us with an exclusive interview and it is our honor to script the
TALK.

“The growing numbers of the Indian community in Kuwait, have made it imperative
that there be a strengthened response from our Embassy. The scope for
improvement in the consular, labour and welfare services being offered by us is
considerable and I am already giving a high priority to addressing the
situation. We need to offer far better facilities and enhance the attention
devoted to our community. In fact, our goal has to be to provide the very best
service at all times!” these were the initial words of His Excellency  Mr. Ajai
Malhotra.

We could observe the eagerness in his eyes, the positive expression in his face
to make a difference!!!!. Simple, down to earth, friendly, polite, with
measured diplomacy in his voice - these are some of the suitable adjectives to
describe our new official representative. However, we could sense the warmth as
he speaks and it creates an attraction towards him.

His ancestors were from Punjab but settled at Srinagar and Kanpur. His father,
General O.P. Malhotra, served as Chief of the Army Staff (1978-81), Governor of
Punjab, and Ambassador of India to Indonesia. Now at 87, he still actively
undertakes social service.

His Excellency Ajai attended nursery classes at Ooty, Tamilnadu, as his father
was posted there. The rest of his schooling was to take place all over India,
as well as abroad. He completed his schooling from St. Xavier’s High School,
Delhi, and later obtained a B.A. (Economics) Honours degree from The Hindu
College, University of Delhi. He went on to finish his Masters in Economics
from The Delhi School of Economics. He joined the Indian Foreign Service in
1977 and his world wide postings started.

His first posting in 1979 was as political officer at the Indian High
Commission in Nairobi, Kenya, where he also handled Seychelles besides UN work.
In 1982 he was transferred as political officer to the Indian Embassy at
Moscow, and in 1985 he moved on to the Permanent Mission of India to the UN at
Geneva, Switzerland, before returning in 1989to the Indian Foreign Ministry in
New Delhi. In 1993 he once again moved to Russia as Counsellor, returning to
Headquarters in 1996 as Joint Secretary in charge of Russia and East and
Central European affairs.

In 1999 he was posted as Minister [Commerce] at the Indian Embassy in
Washington D.C.. He was assigned as Ambassador to Romania in 2003, with
concurrent accreditation to Albania & Moldavia. Since 2005 he has been in New
York, as one of two Ambassadors handling UN work. Now in March 2009, he has
come as India’s Ambassador to Kuwait!!!

His desire to join the I.F.S was motivated by a deep interest in foreign
affairs and diplomacy. His hard working nature and a willingness to take up
additional responsibilities have both contributed to his success. He believes
that handling any issue involves 99% perseverance and 1% inspiration.

An easy going attitude, a friendly approach to his staff, an obsession with
quality output and expecting the same from others, as well as a “let me show
the way” approach – these have all in one way or another contributed to his
success at work.  “Let somebody begin” is not Ajai’s style, “let me start the
movement” is more in his nature. He likes prompt action and looks for results.

On the work front he gives full freedom to his staff, encourages team spirit,
but always keeps his eye on the ball.

He believes that a new assignment in any country could well imply a need to
bring about some change, but it does not necessarily mean that everything there
inevitably has to be changed. As an administrator he is open-minded, shows deep
interest in listening to the views and opinions of others, and has no problems
in accepting new or modern ideas if they are an improvement on the past.

Through dynamic changes in his job assignments he has acquired a wide knowledge
of various cultures and peoples. He enjoys diplomatic life, deriving equal
pleasure through Service to humankind. Having seen both western and eastern
lifestyles, his posting to Kuwait is his first to the Gulf in over 32 years of
public service. It marks a new start that he is genuinely happy to experience.
He tells us enthusiastically of his desire to actively promote India-Kuwait
relations, taking it to a qualitatively new level.

His wife, Ira, is his life partner of his choice. She has a Masters degree as
well as an M.Phil in psychology. When they were in Delhi she worked as a
teacher and later as the editor of a monthly magazine. On being pressed, Ajai
remarks that “she is simple, friendly, and mixes easily”. The couple is blessed
with a daughter and a son, both of whom are completing their studies in USA.

Ira is a ceramics enthusiast, while Ajai is a highly specialized collector of
ephemera. He also occasionally holds the paint brush!!

As we bid good bye to the Ambassador, thanking him for being so generous with
his time, we realize that truly the new incumbent at our Embassy has a worthy
vision to improve the real standard of service at our mission and to boost
India-Kuwait relations.

On behalf of the NRI community we expressed our sincere thanks to him. We look
forward to a new era in India-Kuwait ties!!!
http://www.indiansinkuwait.com/showarticle.aspx?id=2

- gasper almeida, www.goa-world.com

  Goa World   Goa Mog     Goa SuRaj       Super Goa  (em Português)  TGF
Writers' Sketchpad  www.colaco.net
     www.goa-world. .com/goa/ music/    - The Online Music Station for KONKANI
Mahableshwar http://www.mahables hwar.com
St. Mary's School - Mt Abu, Rajasthan India http://www.abusms. com