"Time is deeper and stranger than anything else in our lives, it takes
everything with it, nothing is bigger than time, nothing survives its
power," writes philosopher and bestselling author Jacob Needleman. Here the
emphasis is not upon time management but upon coming alive to the great Self
within — a major emphasis in the mystical traditions of Judaism,
Christianity, and Islam.

Needleman shares the wisdom teachings of Krishna, Hermes, Jesus, and Emerson
who all challenged us to wake up and become all we are meant to be. "The
soul's answer to the problem of time," he writes, "is the experience of
timeless being." Throughout the book, he uses stories and thought-provoking
questions as part of what he calls "the art of pondering." The person who
lives in the dimension of the eternal now isn't distracted by the emotions
(fear, guilt, self-pity, etc.) that devour time. The person who truly sees
reality as it is refuses to enact crimes against his or her own nature.

*The Soul's Internal Clock
*An Interview with Jacob Needleman
By Kristen Fairchild <kfairch...@nomurany.com>

*Kristen Fairchild: *Let's start with the big question. Why does there never
seem to be enough time nowadays?

*Jacob Needleman: *We have become a time-poor society. That's the new
poverty. And nobody - very, very few people - could say they have enough
time in their lives. Not so much in terms of how long they're going to live,
but in terms of just time as it passes in the course of a day. Everybody
feels squeezed, and pressed, and tense - right?

Yes.

And it's such a common problem for young people, children, grownups, adults,
everybody... almost everybody is just driven up the wall about time. Now,
something has happened here and it's particularly ironic, although it's
probably partly the cause, that we have all these inventions that have been
designed to save us time, right? And the result is we have no more time.
What has happened? Where has the time gone - what is starting to chew up our
time so much? There are so many things to do, we're getting so many things
that we want, we're fixing up so many things, improving so many things, that
the main thing is the experience of life is becoming narrower and narrower.
So the problem of the squeezing of time, I think, is partly the problem that
we are somehow, for some reason, experiencing life with a smaller and
smaller part of ourselves-- with a part of ourselves that is constantly
having to race, to take care of things, to fix things, to pay attention. Our
quality of experience is diminishing. I think there is some relation there
to what's happening with time.

Is it erroneous for human beings to think of time as something we can manage
or even hold?

Well, there is a kind of ordinary sense of managing time, which makes some
sense. I mean, one doesn't want to "waste" time, one doesn't want to give
more time to something than one shouldn't. But what is it that we're wasting
when we "waste" time? We're wasting our attention. We're wasting our quality
of perception.

Why can't we see time as abundant? What stops us from that?

Well, we are not in touch with the part of ourselves that is free from all
this racing, this doing, this constantly taking care, of fixing things up
and satisfying desires. We're not able to live in the present moment. Now
the present moment is abundant. And it's always there. But it's hard - it's
very hard for people to step back from the spinning, the temporal, the
pathology of time, the hurry and busy-ness. And that's what I wrote about in
my book, as you know - is the pathology of busy-ness. And it's very hard to
simply step back for people, and break the momentum. And accept that they're
there, in the moment, and that time is very full of the moment - if I bring
more of myself to the moment.

Time expands?

Time expands. And my consciousness expands, my attention expands, my sense
of presence expands.

.....and suddenly there's time enough for everything.

Yes. There's time enough for things, and time becomes more meaningful.

It seems like we're obsessed with the quantity of time, but not the quality
of time spent.

There's no such thing as quantity of time. We only have quality - quantity
of time doesn't mean a thing. Tens or hundreds of years are nothing without
quality, because unless you're there to experience it, time is nothing.
That's one of the illusions of time that time is an external thing to be
quantified.

Time should not be looked at only linearly...

Not linearly, and not externally only. Time has become more of an external
thing because of the invention of the clock, and the Industrial Revolution,
and all that goes with capitalism -- the need to coordinate and synchronize
everybody's movements. The ticking clock is external. But human time is
measured by the quality and quantity of experiences that we have. And in
order to have experiences, we need to be there and we need to be present.

Where did the idea of "managing time" come from?

Well, I think that it's actually, as many people have pointed out, the
management of time by a mechanism is very old, but it took a particular form
during the Medieval period in the monasteries of Europe. Clocks were used to
signal the hours of prayer at specified times during the day so the clock
would sound the bell and that would bring everybody together to pray or to
participate in a ritual. The clocks were meant to help people perform their
daily prayers. And this became one of the great ironies. Clocks then became
the instrument by which the whole capitalist and consumerist revolution
started, because through that kind of invention people were able to
synchronize and to proliferate goods, products and services.

That's fascinating. So the original intention behind the clock was reversed.

Yes. It is an invention that has been used for exactly the opposite purpose
than for that which was originally intended. The great historian and
sociologist, Lewis Mumford, said that the principal invention of the
Industrialist Age was the clock. Not the steam engine or anything like that.
So as time became an external, objectified thing, we lost time as a
subjective personal, human experience. We have a glimpse at it in certain
special moments of our lives when we are suddenly experiencing something
that is sensory with all our presence. We know that time has a very
different quality in those moments.

Time does take on different qualities in different moments. Why is it that
when one is suffering, time seems to slow, and when one is joyful, time
speeds up?

I think that's an interesting question - there's no simple answer. When
you're with someone you love, for example, two days can seem to be like a
lifetime, but at the same time they pass very quickly. You meet the person
and you have two whole days to be with the person, and before you know it,
it's all over. At the same time, there can be such intense moments of
presence in the love relationship that time stands still - you are outside
of time. So, on the one hand, there is a certain kind of pleasure and
happiness where time seems to pass very quickly, and that is probably
because we don't accept that what is present is passing. We wish to hold
onto the happiness so whenever it goes away, we feel that it wasn't there
enough. If we were allowed, if we were free enough to let it come in and let
it go, we wouldn't feel quite this way about time so much. And it's probably
the same thing with suffering: if we were really able to accept our
suffering, it probably would not seem as long as it does. It obviously has
something to do with what's happening inside of us, rather than what's
happening outside.

You say that, “The soul's answer to the problem of time is the experience of
the timeless being.? What do you mean by that”

The timeless being is something in us which is not affected by the external
world of time, clock time. That part is really deep in our real nature. And
we're not in touch with that part. When we're in touch with that part more,
then we experience a kind of quality of time that is completely different
from the usual.

Within the Christian belief system, there is this idea that eternity is
something that happens after we die. Do you think this belief has
contributed to our misunderstanding of time?

I think that's a great mistake -- the idea that eternity is just a kind of
unlimited clock time. Eternity is, at the very least, another kind of time.
It may be a kind of timelessness, but it is certainly another kind of time.
And it begins when the self appears and the self is not bound by linear
time. This kind of experience of the timelessness of the self is what gives
people the sense that there really is something that can survive death
because if it transcends our self in this life, it can possibly transcend
death too.

You're saying we can experience that timelessness now. We don't have to die
to experience that.

It is possible to touch it now, to glimpse it, to make more of a steady
contact with it. And everybody can have moments when they've touched it, and
glimpsed it, and know it exists. We don't have a cultural language to speak
about it. People speak about it in cliches and things - immortality and all
that. That maybe doesn't do it justice, really.

You have an exercise in the book to help people change once their perception
of time. How does it work?

Of course, it's only an experiment. It's just something I found. A way to
change your sense of time is to try to regard everything that happens to you
as though it has already happened before - that you are just sort of going
through something that has been fated, and is already scripted out and
taking place. Somebody rings the doorbell, that person has been destined to
ring the bell. If you burn the toast, you are destined to burn that toast.
The toast has been burned already.

You are just an observer to experiences in your life.

Yes. You are just an observer of what's happened, and it's very interesting
what appears when you take that exercise and try it seriously. Suddenly
you're free of something you didn't realize you were bound by - this sort of
neurotic sense of ‘doing’ that goes on all the time. So the first stage of
the exercise is to regard everything external as already having happened.
The next stage is to regard everything that you do, everything that you say
- like right now, everything I'm saying to you, as if it has already been
said; my mouth is just going, saying, and it's already happened. That
intensifies this feeling of inner freedom. And the third level, which is the
hardest one, is to try to regard all of one's thoughts and feelings as
already there. That can produce a glimpse of another quality of presence and
consciousness that we didn't know was ours. And that's a taste that leads
toward the search for the soul

Well, it's an interesting exercise because it seems to factor out human will
and ego, and the inflated sense that I can maneuver and manipulate my life
exactly as my ego is directing me to.

And that's one of the great illusions about time that eats up so much of our
selves. Most things that are happening are going to happen no matter what I
do anyway.

One of the things that you say that I think is really very clear is that our
relationship to time is involved with our false beliefs about ourselves. We
can't see ourselves clearly due in part to the fact that we misunderstand
time.

People find that very surprising when they first hear it, that the
relationship of time and the relationship of self are so intimately
connected. And we know that time is passing, but that young woman you were
when you were 15, she's still there, isn't she? She's there. And what would
it be like to be able to just be present to her, to watch her, even to
communicate, take care of her? If you were able to meet her, it would give
you a whole different sense of yourself and where you're going. You'll see
that the aim of life doesn't have to do with something particularly that
you're going to be building up with the passing of years, but has to do with
some movement - vertical to time - in this moment.

*In Patience You Possess Your Soul*

*"I have no time! I am pathologically busy. It's beyond anything I have ever
imagined. I can't give anything the attention it needs. I can't do anything
well. I wake up in the middle of the night on the verge of a breakdown."*

*As I read these words, spoken by a successful doctor to the philosopher
Jacob Needleman, who records them in his book, Time and Soul (Doubleday), I
am thinking, "It's the same with me! In the next paragraph, I'm astonished
to see that Needleman writes, "Yes, it's the same with me!" Is he reading my
mind? No, he's providing me proof of something that I've been suspecting for
while: there's a growing time squeeze that's becoming an epidemic. I know
now that it's not just my imagination. What's going on? Increasing numbers
of victims are helplessly caught in a hell of torturous busyness, an
unyielding activity wheel of things to do, work, social obligations, chores,
to name but a few of the time bandits. What is the source of this crime
against sanity? Is it that the "event density" of the modern world is
increasing to an inhumane level? There's just too much happening! I know,
for example, that my computer, which is supposed to be a time savings
device, often harasses me with tedious housekeeping chores. Updating the
computer system costs me a lot of time, so I guiltily plod along two
upgrades behind the times. Maybe it's workaholism. I know that when I sit
down to rest by the bank of the creek, it's not long before I'm feeling that
there's stuff I should be doing. It's hard to sit still for very long, even
in beautiful surroundings. If I don't practice being still on a regular
basis, I can foresee the day when too deep a relaxation will invoke a panic
attack.*

*Perhaps the problem is part of an overall conspiracy involving the
apocalypse, speeding up the world to choke off our supply of time. I get
worked up thinking about it. Needleman calls it "the time famine" and in
doing so relates it to a malaise of Biblical proportions.*

*He says that time management skills won't help, because the better we get
at juggling time, the more we'll juggle into time. How many balls do you
have up in the air now?*

*He provides no practical tips for how to squeeze more events into the day,
or to find quality time with your loved ones. He is not so much concerned
that we learn to find more time, or better time, but to achieve a different
quality of life through a different relationship with time.*

*He doesn't advocate the advice, still good I believe, to take time to smell
the roses. That pleasant aroma can transport us outside of time for the
moment, but doesn't change our relationship with life. He argues that it
won't do any good to hang out in the "here and now," either, although I
might argue that one with him. It's actually a moot point anyway, because
most of us can't hide in this timeless moment except for an instant, then we
are surrounded by our time bandits once again.*

*His suggestion is more radical. You have to surrender to the time bandits'
hold on you, he says, and admit your mortality. Let go of much that you wish
to accomplish. Do more with less.*

*Actually, he wants us to live in truth. Truth is eternal, outside of time.
We are in a period of history that is full of lies, and it is these lies
which create the time famine. We are far too focused on the material world
which runs by the clock, and not enough focused on the soul, which is
outside of time. That we are living in lies, he points out, is why we can't
see the future. In truth, the future is the result of all our choices; it is
the final truth. "What is the point of managing our days more efficiently if
we do not know what our days are for?"*

*To be doing what we are meant to be doing at the moment puts us into a
state of "flow." Whereas we cannot really manage the flow of time, we can
align with our soul and enter the flow of time. When moving with the flow,
we magically disengage from the pressure of time. We make touch with the
soul. The wise man, says Aristotle is never in a hurry. What the wise person
knows that the hurried person doesn't is that in patience you posses your
soul. The soul's answer to the problem of time is timeless being.*

*I can recall learning this lesson for the first time in junior high school,
in our craft shop. I had made a spice rack and was sanding it, and then to
varnish it. I was in a hurry to finish it, and so I did finish it in a
hurry. Then I compared the results I obtained with another student who
seemed willing to sand at the wood's pace and to varnish at the speed of
molasses. His spice rack has a glassy sheen that outshined the rough surface
on my rack. That lesson would be repeated over and again through the years.
If a job was worth doing, it was worth doing well. The soul of craftsmanship
knows the secret of moving at the speed of the material, letting the
creative forces within the material help guide the process.*

*Needleman points out that within us, in the background of awareness, there
is the silent witness, the true "I am." It is unchanged by time and has that
very patience that is the essence of soul awareness. If the "time famine"
makes you hungry for something more, he suggests you renew your acquaintance
with that "I am." One day you will do so for all of eternity.*

* *