The Accidental Activist - Desperate People

By Venita Coelho

I have been following the fight in Lalgarh closely. Even more so because a dear
friend was right in the heart of it. He went in to do a report for a paper -
and
found himself stranded with no way to get out. The naxals had dug up the
surrounding
roads, burnt the bridge and barricaded exits with trees. Helicopters dropped
leaflets telling people not to side with the naxals. Television gave hourly
updates
on how the police and special forces were poised to move in and take back the
area
that had been defiantly taken over by the Maoists. How he got out is a saga in
itself, but I found myself sharing a cup of tea with him and chatting about the
whole experience. And I found myself wondering - will the naxals ever come to
Goa?

On the face of it the answer is 'No'.  They have proliferated in the areas
where the
poorest of the poor live. Where years of awful governance have stripped dirt
poor
tribals and villagers of even the little subsistence they had. Ignored by the
administration, exploited by the local authorities, bullied by the police, the
villagers have seen the naxals as one last chance to fight back.  As their land
is
signed over to mining and other interests, as the forest is declared out of
bounds
for them, as their livelihood vanishes before their eyes they have become
desperate
people willing to take up arms as a desperate measure. Surely that situation
will
never happen in Goa. At the end of the day we are a rich state. The standard of
living in Goa is high. It regularly features in magazine polls as the place to
live
in. On the face of it all is well in Aparanta.

Merely on the face of it. I have asked the question 'will the naxals ever come
Goa?' to several activists. And nobody has ever replied with a firm 'no'. Each
has
thought long and hard. As I have to. And my opinion is that the mining belt
will tip
us over. That and the corruption.

Goa features as the state that is the best to live in. It also features high on
Transparency Internationals list as the single most corrupt state in India. You
would imagine Bihar or Jharkhand would make it to first. Goa beats them hands
down.
For decades Goa has been sold by our politicians. Finally the scales are poised
tip over. The seething activism all over the state should be viewed with great
alarm. It  takes a lot to rouse a Goan. But if across the state people are
willing
to come out and fight then there is something seriously rotten in the state of
Goa.
And it has come home to the ordinary man. Activism in Goa is the tip of the
iceberg.
Looming under the surface is the dead weight of years of frustration with
watching
helplessly as generation after generation of politicians sold the state
shamelessly.

The scales are most likely to tip in the mining areas. The rest of Goa lives in
world that is far removed from the reality of those living in close proximity
to the
mines. Ignored by the administration, exploited by the local authorities,
bullied by
the police - is an apt description of what is happening right now in the mining
affected areas. The mining business turns over hundreds of crores. These find
their
way to the highest corridors of power. The might of state machinery, police,
administration is all geared to keep the money rolling. The villager who stands
up
to protest finds that he is slapped with police cases, arrested, harassed. Make
no
mistake. The villager is fighting because his livelihood is vanishing before
his
eyes. He is a desperate person.

It is this desperation that will finally drag us over the edge.

It is  naive and uninformed to see the fight in Bengal and elsewhere in India
as the
state versus the bad guys. Naxals are not terrorists despite all efforts to
label
them so. It is the state that has created the climate for them to thrive. They
move
in on years of frustration and despair.  It is the common man in Lalgarh who
has
taken up his bow and arrow to stand against the might of the well armed police
and
forces. Take away the ring of jargon from 'peoples fight against oppression'
and
that is exactly what it is.

Will the naxals come to Goa? If our politicians continue their rape of the
resources
of the state - yes. If mining is not checked, nor any controls put in place -
yes.
If we continue to be the most corrupt state in Goa - yes.  We have our own
desperate
people edging closer every day to desperate measures. Our very own Lalgarh is
waiting to happen.       (ENDS)

The above article appeared in the June 23, 2009 edition of the Herald, Goa