My friend Nobby called me the other day and said 'I love
this Konkani U-Pod, "Under My Mama"'.

I said, "What are you talking about? I know you don't even
know a word of Konkani, even though your grand-parents came from Goa. What's
this U-Pod? Is it like an I-Pod?"

Nobby said his Dad told him it is a type of  old folk song from Goa.

Then I asked "Then why would a Konkani folk song be titled in
English?"

'I don't know',  Nobby said.

Then it dawned on me.

"Oh, now I get it", I said "Arre
reddia.."

Why do you call me 'Radio?'  Nobby asked.

"Ai Saiba! Reddia means English Buffalo. Never
mind,  You better learn at least some elementary
Konkani to complement your wide knowledge of other languages such as English,
French and Swahili. Then you can call yourself a Proud Goan."

"I know, I know." Nobby interjected,"So tell
me about the U-Pod "Under My Mamma". Besides I do know a word of Konkani
"Forty three-Tea"

"What? Forty-three Tea? What's that? I know 'Tea' means
'cha' but what is Forty Three got to do with Konkani? " I asked.

"Ok. So  it's not
'tea' but 'cha'. But that's what every Goan here calls the other Goan - "Hey
43-cha".

"Ok,  gotcha! Now
I know you know only Konkani swear-words. What else do you know in
Konkani?" I asked.

"I know pulau, sorpatel, dukra mass, caju fenni, Viva
Goa. Now you tell me about that U-pod, please."

"Okay, Arre Baba, It's not U-pod. It's
"Dulpod" I added.

"And it's not 'Under My  Mamma', It's Undir Mujea mama!'
I said.

"Oh I see  and
what does that mean?" Nobby questioned.

It goes something like this,
literally  - "Oh Microsoft Mouse, My Uncle,  and I am telling you . Don't you
play-i with
the kittie cat-u".

"You mean Bill Gates wrote that song?" Nobby asked
.

"No, Tuj Pai-n. Arre Baba I strongly recommend  to Goans like you,  a new
Konkani Song Book , "Greatest
Konkani Song Hits" by Goanetter and author Francis Rodrigues. It has the real
translation in English that rhymes, not like the one above. Besides musical
notes, background, anecdotes, DVD, etc. And it is quite educational, well
researched, entertaining and sure to be a part of our Goan culture, heritage
and legacy."

"U-pod Under My Mamma? Oh God!, She, loz Baba!Inglez Goenkar!"  I whispered to
myself and laughed.

Silviano BarbosaToronto, Canada
@ Copywright 2009-07-10

Internet explorer 8 lets you browse the web faster.
http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9655582