Title: Who the bleep cares about baby spittle?
By Selma Carvalho
Source: Goan Voice Daily Newsletter 13 July 2009 at
http://www.goanvoice.org.uk/

Full text:

Goan women have a singular mission in life. That is to produce the next
generation of babies and babas. Once this mission has been accomplished the
middle-class Goan woman assumes the position of queen Sheba in the household
and feels it her prime responsibility to regale everyone within a 60 mile
radius with stories of her baby or baba. For those in the Goan Diaspora who
might have forgotten who these two creatures actually are, a baby is a
female child and a baba, a male child. Goan children are never referred to
by their actual names until they turn 25 and manage to produce babies and
babas of their own. If they don't produce little look-alike hobbits, they
will continue to be called Shannu-boy, Johnny-boy or some other name which
condemns them to perpetual pre-pubescences.

The moment a women goes into her 18 hour labour and comes out at the other
end of it with an ugly, crumpled ball of red skin, adorned with rat-like
eyes and a drooling mouth, she suddenly morphs into a boarding school matron
with hips to do justice to this role, and spends endless hours spinning not
just yarns but veritable sweaters, of stories involving the fruit of her
labour. For the life of me, I cannot imagine why these women who once might
have been teachers or doctors, think any other normal, functioning human
being would have the remotest interest in whether baba vomited that day or
whether baby threw a ball at baba and made baba cry. But they do. Not only
are these stories to be heard in their own homes, should you be insane
enough to visit them, but they will actually import them into the sanctity
of your own home, should you be completely insane to invite them over. A
note of caution here, these aren't actually conversations where you are
expected to participate. You are a helpless, captive audience, expected to
nod your acknowledgement at convenient intervals when the mother comes up
for air and demurely smile your adoration at the little munchkin who has
evoked this babble of conversational incontinence.

Of course, other women are co-conspirators in this horrendous act of death
by baby stories. Grandmothers, ageing aunts and unemployed neighbours all
collude to make the woman think that these stories are actually interesting.
Grandmothers especially have a vested interest in perpetuating stories about
their grandchildren. They like to build these stories into untenable myths
which imbue their progeny with super-human strength and unmatched
intelligence; baba can tell which airline is flying overhead just by the
sound of the plane; baby can count to 1000 and she is only 9 months old. It
is the sad outpouring of unfulfilled dreams and the spent force of their own
children's wasted potential. A chance to live in the hope that the family
will produce a doctor or engineer.

Now when I gave birth, I mistakenly believed that it was over and done with.
I had managed to spawn a small clone of my husband and me, and I could go
back to talking about the macro economic challenges faced by an emerging
India. I was wrong. Not so fast said the other mothers around me. We're not
interested in your over-inflated sense of intellectual superiority.
Conversations that began with what I thought about Darwinian evolution
invariably ended with profound thoughts on breast-feeding, spittle,
constipation, gas and potty-train. Well, there's an honest saying, if you
can't beat them join them. Did I ever tell you about the time my baby was so
constipated...

Do leave your feedback at carvalho_...@yahoo.com