http://lists.goanet.org/pipermail/goanet-goanet.org/2009-July/180028.html

From: <mgov...@sbcglobal.net>
Mario wrote:

If Fr. Prakash wants to become a politician he should resign from the
priesthood. You cannot honestly serve both God and Caesar, ...er,
Shivaji, at the same time.

Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 21:52:18 +0530
From: Marshall Mendonza <mmendonz...@gmail.com>

Mario, may I place a query before you. I would appreciate if you could
answer it to the point and with supporting explanation.

Mario responds:
My opinion has to do with conflicts of interest between vows that REAL priests take versus whom they would be required to represent in a secular democracy. For example, the Vatican places stringent restrictions on Catholic politicians in matters of abortion and gay marriage, which may clash with secular policy. This would apply ten fold to priests. ***Precisely at this juncture we need prophets who will live and die for Truth in the "secular" democracy. Catholic priests and lay people have the duty to speak against abortion, which is a crime, and "gay marriage", which is a contradiction in terms...scientifically, medically, biologically, sociologically and ethically... What Fr.Cedric is doing is not against his priestly vows, but the concrete expression of his commitment and ministry for the people of God, particularly for the oppressed ones.

Even the Bible recognized that God and Shivaji should be kept apart.
***God is the "hound of heaven" who must have been after Shivaji also...