Goanetter Francis Rodrigues (Vasco/Toronto) unveils his book,
The Greatest Konkani Song Hits. Launch dates: Goa (Kala
Academy) on 9 Aug. 4 pm. U.K. (Staines) on 15 Aug. Canada on
20 Aug and US on 30 Aug. Details http://www.konkanisongbook.com/

The Goa assembly has apparently been outraged by an article by Samir Kelekar in
the Herald referring to the Assembly proceedings as a comedy. The Speaker had
stern words for Samir and the Herald, threatening punitive action. Since when
has the not so august House become so sensitive to opinions of the public? I
recall Parrikar had similarly taken umbrage to some press writing some years
back, and had slammed defamation notices on some papers.

The last article I have pasted mentions Narvekar as saying - "Mr Kelekar is the
son of  Mr Gurunath Kelekar, the convenor of Movement for Amity towards Roads
in Goa (MARG), which is a body on which government spends large amount of
money, Mr Narvekar said, retorting Have we questioned how this money is being
utilised."

Hah! A multi-crore cricket-scam accused speaketh thus! When I was travelling
with Gurunath Kelekar as part of a survey team to document the condition of the
Statues and Memorials in Goa, I recall the senior Kelekar walking into a
restaurant (by the Highway) with us, to have our meals. When he looked at the
menu prices,he said - no no, too costly -  and took us to another cheaper
restaurant to eat. This is government money, he would say, we have to
economise. We did all our travelling around Goa in MARG's rickety Maruti van,
for which Kelekar claimed minimal expenses. If Narvekar was our team leader, I
would have travelled in a Merc!

And Narvekar would take a shot at this gentleman! I think Samir Kelekar has
done well in raising the hackles of the politicos. Hats off to the Herald.

I also know that Samir himself donates very generously to support the public
causes that his father espouses. Samir's rage at the behaviour of the
politicians will resonate with every like-minded Goan. I believe Narvekar's ire
was largely due to the fact that Samir Kelekar had exposed his corrupt
activities as Head of the Information Technology ministry. Samir was a member
of the IT Committee, but was unceremoniously thrown out after he asked too many
uncomfortable questions. The IT parks were/are nothing but real estate scams by
proxy.

 Regards
 Jose Lourenco