                       August 20 - WORLD GOA DAY
    Celebrating the inclusion of Konkani in the 8th schedule of the
                Indian Constitution on August 20, 1992

For a list of World Goa Day events see:

                                http://worldgoaday2009.blogspot.com

There will be a talk on Free/ Open Source Software at the Associacao
Academica de Moira, on Saturday, 22nd August, 2009 at 5.30 p.m. The faculty
will consist of Computer Professionals & ILUG-Goa Members Arvind Yadav and
Ashley Delaney. The text of the flier put out in the Newspapers distributed
in Moira today is given below:

===========================================================================================================
                      ATTENTION, HOME COMPUTER USERS!
                            Are you using unlicensed software on your
computer?
Computers are increasingly becoming a part of our daily lives, and the
number of computers in homes is
steadily increasing. Few of us actually know if the software we’re using is
licensed or not. We very often,
innocently, just use the software the dealer installed in our computers.
Software licenses can cost tens of
thousands of rupees, so some hardware vendors load unlicensed software on
the computers they supply.
This is illegal, and it can also be very costly - to you!
Though home users are not being raided at present, it might not remain thus.
If you are caught using
unlicensed software, the penalties can be steep:
... punishable with imprisonment ... not be less than seven days but which
may extend to three years and
with fine ... not be less than fifty thousand rupees ... may extend to two
lakh ..(Rs. 200,000). ... where the
computer programme has not been used for gain or in the course of trade or
business, the court may, ... not
impose any sentence of imprisonment and may impose a fine which may extend
to fifty thousand rupees.
Indian Copyright Act Chapter XIII, Section 63-B (ellipses indicate parts are
abridged)
(ref http://www.vakilno1.com/bareacts/copyrightact/chapter13/s63b.html)
That’s not all; many software publishers deny software updates to unlicensed
software, making it less
secure on the Internet. If you do Internet banking on your computer, and it
has been infected by a virus
because software updates were not installed - crackers can grab the
information and steal your money
right out of your bank account!
Paying for software licenses is also not easy! Just the operating system and
office suite licenses can cost
over Rs.15, 000; what if you want image-editing software, multimedia
software, games, programming
languages and tools, and other software? Pay a lakh or two? Or risk
downloading free-of-cost programs
that may have limited functionality – or worse, may carry spyware?
There’s another, better way! Free/Open-Source Software (FOSS) provides you
with several thousands
of legal-to-use software packages FREE of license cost! Most home users will
find all their computing
needs are covered. Are you interested? We would like to share with you how
you can benefit from FOSS;
we plan to have a talk (open to all, and free of charge) at the
        *A. A. de Moira on Saturday, 22nd August, 2009 at 5.30 p.m.*
We will also discuss the usefulness of mailing lists as tools of
communication, coordination and collaboration,
for social, cultural and other community purposes. We intend to set up a
new, friendly, civilized, socially
and culturally oriented list for Moidekars, managed by Moidekars.
We also plan to use this mailing list to share information/help/tips and
tricks about FOSS, to Moidekars
who have switched to freedom. We would like you to vote on the name of this
list and to discuss the
proposed rules for the mailing list. We hope to collect the names and email
addresses of those who wish to
join the list.
See you on Saturday evening!

--