Two new showrooms/office spaces, double height (135 sq m each with bath)
for lease in upscale Campal/Miramar beach area, Panaji, Goa.
Contact: goaengineer...@aol.com

*This article was published in the Herald of today but I cannot read it in
the web version.. Any reasons..?? *

*We are the Church*

*By. Almir de Sousa*

Because of his intelligence and expertise in historical matters   I had
certain regard for Teotonio R. De Souza. I lost it today after reading his
Article “Church in Goa: Servants, slaves and rebels”. ( Herald, 29 August,
2009)

The article is not worth   of any person of certain standard much less a
Historian and Professor of Teotonio’s calibre. It is full of insinuations,
undocumented quotations  and calling of names to those who oppose him. At
the end of the article I asked myself , “  Why this personal attack in the
garb of a ‘historical lecture’? Would Teotonio have a personal grudge
against the Archbishop?”, Because the whole article comes to that.

According to him all the members of the Church could be divided into three
categories: servants, slaves and rebels. ‘Slaves’ would be those who defend
the Church and attack him; ‘Rebels’ would be all those who  attack the
Church.  All the others would be ‘servants’. He would  place himself in the
 category of “rebels” and carve a glorified  niche for himself together with
others like Fr.Dupuis or Fr. Bermejo. The last two may have  had their own
difficulties with Vatican Authorities but they remained in the Church   to
serve her with all dedication, because they did not love themselves but the
Church.

We should avoid two types of Pharisaisms: one to be in the Church, observe
all the laws and regulations to the last detail  and consider ourselves  as
‘ perfect ones’  and condemn all others as ‘publicans’; the other one is of
those  who for reasons of their own  opted to be outside the Church but
consider themselves  and boast as the ‘perfect ones’  and call the ones who
are still  in the Church ‘slaves or chamchas’. Both equally wrong and to be
condemned.

The article of Teotonio is full of insinuations:  regarding the ”loyal
servants of the Church in Goa, both clergy and laity,” belonging to
“dominant castes”  of   “the finance and other administrative
committees”  including
the “relatives of priests”  and “ of the archbishop”.

He seems to be basing his article on hearsay  and quotes the opinion of one
person as if that opinion was sacramental and infallible: Just two examples:

1.       *“Someone even mentioned the Bishop’s pastoral visits as useless
exercise…”*  It may be  true, there are always a few who will not do
anything themselves and whatever others do will find as “useless exercise”.
So what to conclude from there?  Should the Bishop stop his pastoral visits?
And what about all others, hundreds of  them, who have exactly the opposite
view? I can quote for one: in my Parish a well reputed Teacher, housewife  and
Mother of three children, after the  pastoral visit of the  Archbishop ,told
me that she had attended all the talks of the Archbishop and that she did
not feel bored at all on the contrary they were of great help to her
personal  and  family life. She is not a ‘chamcha’ neither she teaches in a
Catholic School. This is just one example.

2.       Again Teotonio  quotes  “some parishioners of the new Porvorim
parish”  who  “approached” him during his “brief stay in Goa”  and “revealed
their discontent over the lack of transparency and accountability of the
generous funds collected from the parishioners for extending the parish
residence”. Instead of going to the press  with such insinuations would it
not be better if he had sought  clarification directly from  the Parish
Priest of Porvorim, who  happens to be his co-villager?  For that matter how
would Teotonio like if I had written to the Papers saying that “someone has
approached me” and revealed that Teotonio had mismanaged the Funds of
the  Xavier
Centre of Historical Research when he was at the helm of that Centre?

It looks that Teotonio and a few like him want to divide the Church in Goa  in
two classes: Priests and Laity and incite the Laity against the Clergy.

The  picture of the Church given by Teotonio  is all wrong. There are no
“Servants, slaves and rebels” in the Church . There are sons and daughters
in the Church. The Church is the Body of Christ and we, the Bishops, Priests
and Laity are the members of this Body; the Church is the People of God and
we  all are this people, we belong to the Church, *we are the Church.*

Though the Church is founded by Christ yet it is human and consists of human
members.  These human members, Pope, Bishops, Priests and Laity,  are
sinners. The Church is composed of sinners, yet it is holy because of Christ
who died for our sins makes the Church holy. All this can be understood only
in faith.

As  a body of sinners there are bound to be mistakes in the Church.  It is
because of this that there has always been a saying in the Church: *“Ecclesia
semper reformanda”*  (The Church has always to be reformed)  This reform has
to come from within. If we really love the Church we will continue to be in
the Church and try to reform it from within

It is not with Round Tables, TV Debates and much less Articles like those
written by Teotonio which are going to reform the Church. It is not by
leaving the Church and then throwing stones at her that we shall reform the
Church it is by remaining in the Church, suffering with and within the
Church, maybe even being a ‘rebel’ but always within the Church that we
shall reform the Church. Also it is not by   living in Portugal and by our
“brief stay in Goa” that we shall reform Goa and the Church in Goa. It is by
living here, in Goa, that we should suffer with our people, with our Church
and reform Goa and the Church in Goa.