What is your good name?
Goan Catholics on a first name basis

By Cecil Pinto

My book on Goan Catholics names, published in 2002, received tremendous
critical
acclaim and went into its third print run recently. I am planning to re-write
certain sections, to more accurately mirror current naming conventions, and
re-release the book in 2010.

For those of you who have not read the original book I am excerpting a few
passages
below. Please send me feedback and personal anecdotes which I can insert into
the
next edition.

Excerpts from the book Child Naming Conventions of Goan Catholics by Cecil
Pinto
(Pp. 240, Hardbound - Abbe Faria Productions © 2002)

"The Goan Hindus have always followed religious and cultural convention while
naming
their children. There has been little or no variance over the centuries. The
Goan
Catholics on the other hand are very adventurous, in an anthroponomastic sense,
and
shows interesting discernible waves and patterns which can be scientifically
enumerated and categorised."

"Before the Portuguese arrived the Goan Catholics had no proper names. They
just
used to call each other Bhau, Bai, Bappa, Lapitt, Soku, Oie etc. In fact before
the
Portuguese arrived there were not many Catholics in Goa."

"The Portuguese converted many of the Hindus to Catholicism and gave them
surnames.
Please do not confuse First Names with Surnames. The process of giving the new
converts surnames was complex and involved the surname of the Portuguese
nobleman,
the caste and clan of the converted person and some phonetic similarity. This I
have
covered in my 1997 book Goan Catholic Surnames - Clan, Caste & Kashti. So for
example a Pundalik Prabhu would become a Pascoal Pinto"

"The native Goans were clueless on what First Names to take. The Portuguese
gave
them a large printed sheet of paper called an Almanac (pronounced al-man-ac)
that
basically had a Catholic saint for every day of the year. So depending on your
date
of birth you take that particular saint's name. Gender issues did crop up.
Adolph
became Adolphine and Mary became Mario but some names remained neutral like
Vivian,
Piedade and Innocence causing much trauma and sexual confusion for these named
individuals."

"No sooner the first printing press in Asia arrived in Goa a young entrepreneur
named Dominic Savio printed minature credit card sized copies of this Almanac.
The
father of the child would just whip out the handy Dominic Savio Card from his
wallet, check the date, and viola, there was the name. The villagers of
Benaulim and
surrounding areas never quite understood the concept and hence a lot of
Catholics,
and even a few Hindus, there are named Dominic and Savio. Of course the people
of
this area take their names from the oddest of sources - dead British Prime
Ministers, Walt Disney characters, what have you."

"Laminated Domnic Savio Cards were available till very recently but are now
collectors items, like those signs saying 'I gave on cash I gave on credit'
with a
fat shopkeeper and a thin impoverished guy with a lot of debtors."

"Of course Goans, being the way they are, this naming trend did not last for
long.
There was rebellion. People started naming their children after the local
church
saint - Alex in Calangute, Anne in Ponda, Thomas in Aldona, Conception in
Panjim,
Reception at Alva-Mar, Parra etc"

"After a particularly troublesome delivery, as happened often in those days, it
was
tradition to name the child after the attendant doctor. This didn't make a
major
difference because the doctor was originally named after a saint anyway. Unless
he
was a Hindu doctor. In which case an advert was put in the local papers
thanking the
doctor and the Dominic Savio Card was referred to, as always. This tradition of
placing an advert still carries on to date but its origins are forgotten."

"Often respect had to be given to a particularly rich or influential dead
ancestor
or relative. So for example an expectant mother would name her child Cecilia in
advance after a recently deceased grandmother. When the child was born and
found to
be male the name was quickly shortened to Cecil."

"All was well until Liberation in 1961. Hundreds of thousands of Goan Catholics
now
were exposed to All India Radio and those who didn't die of boredom were
updated on
what was happening in the world. People turned on their radios and heard about
the
great happenings of the Sixties. This was a period of heroic names like Neil,
Armstrong, John, Kennedy, Martin, Luther, Ernesto, Lyndon, Johnson, Julie,
Gloria
etc. A confusing period for the children, especially the hundred odd who were
named
after Ringo, Evita, Hendrix, Sonny & Cher."

"Interestingly in the early Seventies a few priests took up Hindu names like
Fr.
Sanyas and Fr. Vipassana. Parent's followed suit and gave children names like
Vivek,
Nirmal, Jyoti, Avinash & Nash. Curiously despite their nationalistic fervor
nobody
used Goan Hindu names like Damodar, Sundorem, Sakaram, Pandurang, Ganpat,
Mogrem,
Shunvtem, Tukaram, and Bhimlo."

"Politically correct people point out that these are Indian names and not Hindu
names. This is untrue. Abdul and Hasina and Rosemary and Homi are as Indian as
Ram
and Shyam. At the least they can be called Sanskrit names."

"A few years down the line there was a minority backlash against these Hindu
names
and the Catholics reverted to the Holy Book and used Biblical names like Aaron,
Daniel, Saraf, Cleophas, Ruth and Demetrius. Some took the anti-Sanskrit
sentiment
to its extreme and used names that were totally culture contrary like Stacy,
Bach,
Fidel and Kurt."

"In the early Nineties a strange trend came into being, uniquely first in the
civilised universe - combi-names. Such combi-names had been used earlier by
Goan
Catholics to name their newly built RCC bungalows. But now they started giving
combi-names to their children. A combi-name consists of a combination of the
names
of the Father and Mother. For example Edlen from Edwin-Helen, Loubert from
Lourdes-Albert, Fremella from Frederick-Pamella, Luiza from Luis-Eliza."

"An earlier book of mine, Residence and Vehicle Names in Goa, touches on this
subject, but briefly. There are 227 RCC bungalows in Goa named God's Gift and
324
Maruti Vans named Jesus Saves"

"Another common convention is to name all children with the same starting
letter of
the alphabet. A couple in Assagao has twelve children named - Austin,
Annabelle,
Alan, Audrey, Auspicio, Alba, Abigail, Anastasia, Anthony, Astrid, Alice and
finally
Amen!"   (ENDS)

The column above appeared in Gomantak Times dated 10th September 2009
=====