Planning to get married in Goa?

www.weddingsetcgoa.com

Making your 'dream wedding' possible

Goanet highlights by Selma Carvalho

I recently attended World Mental Health Day in the UK. It's a
disturbing feeling coming face to face with mental illness,
so much pain and agony reflected in those eyes who see the
world a little differently. We, Goans, tend to brush mental
illness under the carpet, thinking of it as a curse from God
or worse still as some sort of "jadoo" which the neighbours
have engaged in and managed to afflict others with a curse.
But the reality of mental health is that it can be managed
with effective treatment. In a detailed article Karl De Souza
talks about World Mental Health Day in Goa and what we can do
in Goa to assist people with mental ill-health.
http://lists.goanet.org/pipermail/goanet-goanet.org/2009-October/184297.html

Are there man-made disasters in Goa just waiting to happen?
Samir Kelekar looks at this possibility:
http://lists.goanet.org/pipermail/goanet-goanet.org/2009-October/184439.html

Rajan Parrikar in his crusade against bhailo lok gives us his
take on migrant contributions to Goa.
http://lists.goanet.org/pipermail/goanet-goanet.org/2009-October/184450.html

The Kampala Goan Institute are to hold its centenary
celebrations in Toronto, 2010. Antonio Mascarenha gives us
more information on that:
http://lists.goanet.org/pipermail/goanet-goanet.org/2009-October/184432.html

As usual JoeGoaUK continues his photo-essay of Goa, this week
bringing us wonderful pictures of the Church of Our Lady of
Penha de Franca. Perhaps many people will not know this but a
widow by the name of Anna de Azavedo donated large tracts of
land to the Franciscans so that they could build this Church
and houses to accommodate the Franciscan monks.
http://lists.goanet.org/pipermail/goanet-goanet.org/2009-October/184431.html

Carmen Miranda provides us an insight into the massive
deforestation that is taking place in Goa mainly on account
of mining.
http://lists.goanet.org/pipermail/goanet-goanet.org/2009-October/184424.html

A discussion that became rather over-heated this week began
with a panel talk conducted in Goa to discuss freedom of
expression. Should freedom of expression, specially artistic
expression, be curtailed by religious sentiments and imagined
slights to these sentiments? On the other hand does freedom
mean unbridled liberty to engage in behaviour which causes
needless friction? Both these points have been well defended
and here are some snippet of the ensuing debate:

Frederick Noronha:
http://lists.goanet.org/pipermail/goanet-goanet.org/2009-October/184288.html

Sandeep Heble:
http://lists.goanet.org/pipermail/goanet-goanet.org/2009-October/184383.html

A light-hearted look at Goan etiquette by Selma Carvalho:
http://lists.goanet.org/pipermail/goanet-goanet.org/2009-October/184358.html

Lino Dourado gives us his Aitaracheo Katkutleo: Walkover?
Ttenxonn Kiteak?
http://lists.goanet.org/pipermail/goanet-goanet.org/2009-October/184335.html

Continuing in his series, Goodbye Goa, Valmiki Faleiro asks
if migrants are a necessary evil in Goa?
http://lists.goanet.org/pipermail/goanet-goanet.org/2009-October/184328.html

Wendell Rodricks pays tribute to Noel Lima Leitao, in "A
friend is a star to behold."
http://lists.goanet.org/pipermail/goanet-goanet.org/2009-October/184276.html

"1000 Goan experiences" is possibly one of Goa's
best-selling books by PantaleĆ£o Fernandes. Frederick Noronha
reviews the book:
http://lists.goanet.org/pipermail/goanet-goanet.org/2009-October/184095.html

          Was the world stunned last week when US President
          Barack Obama was awarded the Nobel Peace prize.
          Here are some reactions from Goanetters:

Bosco D'Mello:
http://lists.goanet.org/pipermail/goanet-goanet.org/2009-October/184277.html

Tony d'Sa:
http://lists.goanet.org/pipermail/goanet-goanet.org/2009-October/184318.html

Mervyn Lobo:
http://lists.goanet.org/pipermail/goanet-goanet.org/2009-October/184259.html

A post by author Dominic Fernandes titled, "Portuguese love
for Goans!" which sparked off a debate on Goanet:
http://lists.goanet.org/pipermail/goanet-goanet.org/2009-October/184225.html

Also continuing in his series, Dominic tells us more about
the Mhar caste of Goa.
http://lists.goanet.org/pipermail/goanet-goanet.org/2009-October/184356.html

And finally Cecil Pinto takes an uncut and uncensored look at
the Male Goan Lover and the perils of a rural sex survey.
http://lists.goanet.org/pipermail/goanet-goanet.org/2009-October/184217.html