Reign of fanatics
Joel Morais, Cuncolim
Some time ago, some fanatic organisations were trying to get a ban on
well-known artist Subodh Kerkar’s painting exhibition at Goa but finally the
exhibition was a grand success. Also the ‘Da Vinci Code’ was banned. Is our
faith so weak that a film can threaten it? Also some fanatics tried and still
try to stop us from celebrating Valentine’s Day in our beloved country.
The book, Jinnah: India, Partition and Independence, led to the expulsion of
senior BJP leader Jaswant Singh from the party and the Gujarat government
decided to ban his work of historical analysis pertaining to events 60 years
ago. Was this not an undemocratic act?
If a terrorist like Kasab from Pakistan, who has disturbed the peace of our
country and robbed the happiness of many of our countrymen, has the right to
fight his case in a court of law, why can’t we citizens express our own
opinions which many times turn out to be facts? The truth is bitter, and
especially for some politicians it is very difficult to accept facts.
If the planned Margao blast by some fanatics had been a success, then without
even thinking for a minute the blame would have been gone on to the Muslims and
it could have even resulted in communal riots in Goa. Our Home Minister was
very quick to point fingers to the Sanatan Sanstha, not in the interest of Goa
and Goemkars but just because his rival and Cabinet colleague’s wife is part of
the same Sanstha. What would have been his statement if the blast had been a
success?
The once-beautiful state of Goa is losing its peace at a great pace. Decent
foreign tourists presently don’t have the same opinion about our beloved Goa as
they had earlier and if we don’t act the right way now, the day is not far when
Goa will be known as a living hell.

Joel Morais
P.O.Cuncolim,
Bencleamvaddo,