*Opinions from Goans in Goa: I guess support from Non Resident Goan in
whatever form can only help the cause!!*
**
*http://www.navhindtimes.in/opinions*
**
*Goa needs special status*
Despite the tremendous progress made by Goa after 48 years of its
Liberation, the people continue to hope that the central government grants
special status to the state. The feeling of being colonised has not yet left
us. At present we are concerned of immigrants’ influx, lack of job
opportunities, sale of land, exploitation of mines, stench of garbage at
every nook and corner, plundering of agricultural fields and green zones for
concrete mega projects, sky rocketed cost of living etc. Goa was not part of
the Constitutional Assembly deliberation, it was liberal through
intervention in 1961, and we missed the two Five Years Plans. To preserve
our identity, culture and land, we need special status like Himachal
Pradesh, Uttaranchal or Jammu and Kashmir to regulate or restrict ownership
and transfer of land to non-Goans. Goa ought to have been given the special
status soon after liberation as promised by the government led by Jawaharlal
Nehru.
*Zino Carvalho, Davorlim*

*Need to rethink mega complexes*
Day in and day out, reports appear in the press about many panchayats in Goa
at its gram sabhas objecting the construction of mega complexes near the
beaches. The people at large are fully justified in objecting the projects
by different builders. In a place like Benaulim all these buildings coming
up will constitute a huge complex. The PDA is aware that there is no
infrastructure like roads, water, sewage and garbage disposal system in
place, but licences are being issued. PDA should conduct a survey of the
areas where the construction activity is taking place, and assess if the
present infrastructure is sufficient to cater to the new structures coming
up and issue licences only when all parameters are complied with and not
wait for the complexes to come up. Needless to add that the present
residents are suffering because of the lack of broad roads, regular water
supply, no sewage and garbage disposal system in place, and electricity
playing truant. The new complexes coming up will only aggravate the
problem.PDA can notify the areas which have infrastructure in place and
grant licences only to those projects. Is the Chief Minister listening?
*Devidas Salkar, Mandopa*

--
Please post your comments on my Blog: http://goanidentity.blogspot.com/

Please also see below: