Subject: Colva Violence

As I understand from reports in the media, police in-action on earlier cases
filed against the concerned person, was one major reason of the peoples
anger/violence; we are all aware of this distinct trait of Goa Police but
we must also understand that many times, the Police are compromised by
influential Politicians. Yes unfair defamation, if any should be strongly
opposed and guilty should be dealt with, but then should we not question, if
the violence was really justified; could we at least first given (A)
Peaceful Protest and (B) The Judiciary, a chance?  I request some of the
people to look at the possibility, of them being used as pawns in a power
play, by bigger vested interests. It is good that the local MLA appealed to
the people for patience and added pressure on the Government to take up the
cases immediately; I also kindly request him to stand with the people and
likewise with the same enthusiasm, put pressure on the Government to act on
other major/critical issues facing Colva, which are even more serious; can
eventually lead to the destruction of the village and can seriously affect
its inhabitants in the near future e.g. destruction of the
ecology/environment by un-necessary mega-projects, illegal land conversions
including Agricultural Land, un-sanitary & un-hygienic conditions on the
beach and other areas in Colva, increasing water contamination, in-justice &
violation of basic human rights particularly against the less
privilegedpeople, un-controlled migrant influx, Garbage issue etc

Arwin Mesquita, UAE

--
Please post your comments on my Blog: http://goanidentity.blogspot.com/

Please also see below:
1. Benaulim Village Action Committee: http://www.bvacbenaulim.blogspot.com/
2. "Rape of Goa" : http://www.parrikar.com/blog/the-rape-of-goa/
3. MAND - an adivasi-rights resource centre : http://mandgoa.blogspot.com/
4. EVERY GOAN SHOULD SEE THIS VIDEO:
http://infochangeindia.org/Infochange-documentary.html
5. For the Love of Konkani: http://www.radiogoa.net/
6. Goa's Identity Movement website: http://www.goamag.net/gim
7. Goa's Identity Movement group on Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com//#/group.php?gid=193497031686
8. Official Government Site NRI Office (GOA): http://www.globalgoans.org.in/