It is not surprising that Calvert Consalves is at the centre of the CD
controversy in Colva. I have had my share of problems with Calvert as he
happens to be the son-in-law of the family that was given our house in Colva on
a care-taker basis. When I last met him in Goa he said he was going to help me
as a fellow-journalist in settling the issue. We agreed on a price for the
house and we agreed to meet at the mamlatdar's office. But on the morning of
the scheduled day, his lawyer called me and said he has to rush to Panaji. I
called Calvert a few more times. He promised to meet again and his lawyer said
he cannot come there as he was busy. It was clear to me that Calvert had no
intentions of paying the money.
My house has been brought down and a new house constructed my his in-laws. My
house is in the Piquen Vanelin vado. We did not take a paise from the family
who were entrusted with the task of taking care of the house. I must informthat
the land did not belong to us. It later came to our knowledge that he had got
the land from the batkar's daughters. As a panch, Calvert exercised lot of
influence. He was or still is in the real estate business. He also told me that
he has a law degree but, on checking with village sources, I found out that he
was lying. He wrote a few pieces in The Goan Observer, especially regarding
real estate.
When I visited The Goan Observer's office, I told Rajan Narayan that Calvert is
a "fake" and how he could allow him to write for his paper. I checked with some
journalist friends in Goa but none seem to know Calvert as a "journalist." In
fact, when we met first time I had arranged to see him in Panaji. I met him in
the Times of India office where I had gone to see my friend Cyril D'Cunha, one
of Goa's veteran journalists. I introduced Calvert to Cyril and Cyril said he
had never heard his name.
My only choice was to fight him in court but my lawyers advised me that it
would take a lot of time and money and that I should settle it out of court.
Many of us are familiar with cases like mine. You cannot trust anyone, even
those who appear "sincere" and as "real Goenkars." Many individuals will tell
you one thing when you meet or agree on certain thing and then go back on their
word. I am currently battling a Goan in Toronto on an issue where the person
has failed to keep his word on returning some of my valuable things.
Some months ago I met a Goan couple at a relative's place who told me how
Calvert tried to cheat him of money on false promises regarding some property
in Colva. Calvert was once very closely associated with Micky Pacheco, but has
now fallen out with him. Before he was in the Pacheco camp, Calvert was
cavourting with Churchill Alemao. Maybe he is back in the Churchill camp as
both Pacheco and Churchill are at loggerheads with each other. I saw the video
on YouTube where Pacheco speaks.

Eugene Correia

http://www.flickr.com/gift/