                     **** http://www.GOANET.org ****

                        Happy New Year Twenty-Ten

Eric Pinto has thrown some light on Leslie de Noronha. I read him regularly in
The Examiner, especially his criticism on theatre, and many of his poems. His
first novel, The Mango and the Tamarind Tree, and later The Dew Drop Inn, were
published by the Writers' Workshop. If I remember correctly Prof. Peter
Nazareth did a review of his The Mango and the Tamarind Tree.
I saw him once from close range at a theatre performance. One day I was in the
Bandra area and decided to visit someone who was related to my cousin and who
often came to our home. He was working as a chef. When I was seating in the
living room, I saw a photo and recognized the person. I asked the chef who was
his master and he told me the name, Leslie de Noronha. He lived in a posh
apartment opposite the Bandra seashore. The chef said Leslie hosted a lot of
parties. It was later that I knew he was son of a well-known family that Eric
Pinto has mentioned.
Leslie de Noronha, if I remember correctly, worked for Glaxo as a research
scientist. He was rarely seen in public. I did not personally know his
lifestyle and I neither cared to ask the chef. The chef later got involved with
an ayah from the area and later went to Kuwait.

Eugene Correia

http://www.flickr.com/gift/