The Saligao village panchayat has decided to accord top priority to the
reconstruction of the market for which it has allotted Rs 15 lakh. An
additional Rs 50,000 for repairs has also been allotted in its recently
approved Rs 80.40 lakh budget.

Saligao sarpanch Bholanath Sakhalkar told TOI that the panchayat had earlier
passed a resolution for reconstruction of the dilapidated market and forwarded
it to the Goa State Infrastructure Development Corporation for execution.

The file is presently being processed by the GSIDC, Sakhalkar said. The plans
for reconstruction of the market have been drawn up by architects Dean D'Cruz
and Tulio de Souza, who told TOI that the plans include extension too.

The project will be executed in two phases. The existing village panchayat hall
on the first floor will be converted into the panchayat office.

The building hall on the ground floor will be an annexe to the market. The
market reconstruction will be taken up in the first phase as no land
acquisition is involved. Work will start latest by December this year, de Souza
said.

Sakhalkar also said that the panchayat is hoping to undertake development of a
football ground through the GSIDC. This, however, involves acquisition of land
in survey numbers 18, 19 and 20 at Sonarbhatt.

While the Saligao comunidade has already given its NOC, it has advised the
panchayat to take the tenants into confidence too. The panchayat has allotted
Rs 6 lakh for land acquisition in its budget.

For these big projects, the panchayat is depending on funds from the government
.

"Our panchayat is very poor," said Sakhalkar. "We get income mostly from house
tax. Hence, we are looking up to the government for support to undertake
development work."

The panchayat is expecting government grants of Rs 36.85 lakh for the
implementation of the projects.