Just now I saw one article by Mr. Valmiki Faleiro. He says:

Quite a few readers sought more on GSB history. I’d recommend the ‘Skanda Purana’ (esp its Sahyadri Khanda, chapter, which deals with Goa/Konkan Saraswats)by Dr. Jose Gerson da Cunha. Dr. Cunha (1844-1900), native of Arpora-Bardez,studied and practiced medicine in Bombay, but his abiding interest in history took him scouring the west coast from Gujarat to Kerala. From old temple manuscripts and other records, he produced the monumental 1877 work.

I am in fact interested in getting a copy of Dr. Cunha's copy. I know very copies, if at all, are available. But it seems that Mr. Faleiro has seen a copy somewhere. Can you please ask Mr. Faleiro to get in touch with me on my email address. ( deepak.g...@gmail.com) One of my friends is in fact trying to bring out, with some assistance from government, an authoritative version of Sahyadri Khanda. I am therefore interested in getting either a photcopy or a soft copy of the book. I am willing to pay the cost involved.

Incidentally, to the best of my knowledge, Mr. Cunha brought out in 1894, "Sahyadri Khanda of Skanda Purana", and not the full length Skanda Purana itself. The Skanda Purana copies are easily available, but all published versions, especially those published in the North, do not contain the Sahyadri Khanda at all. In fact my North Indian friends are surprised when I mention Sahyadri Khanda. That is what makes Mr. Cunha's book valuable.

Deepak Gore

Read all Goanet messages at:

http://lists.goanet.org/pipermail/goanet-goanet.org/