THE MONSOON MAGIC

By: Bennet Paes

Traditionally, we Goans have a-saint-a-season, and for a reason. St. Anthony is
for the coming of rains and San Joao to get us drenched in it. But nothing of
that sort happened, and only a few days ago we were soaking in sweat under a
sweltering sun. The only consolation came, not surprisingly though, from the
inimitable Indian meteorologists whose college curriculum now seems to include
a subject called: ‘guessing games’.

At first they said the southwesterly winds had already completed their damage
over the Andamans and were now threatening  Kerala, which meant only two more
days for us to sweat under. That, however, made great  news.

Not two days – four more went in waiting.  The sun still beat our rooftops and
the earth parched drier. The famous weathermen then spun us into another
glimmer of hope. They lectured us saying that ‘slight inaccuracies’ are always
factored into weather predictions, which are further compounded by this
phenomenon-come-lately known as global warming. We heard that sermon, as we
usually do when men on earth talk about heavenly matters,  and went as far as
pushing the pill further down.

But at last relief came our way. The sun went into hiding and let the clouds
release a drizzle accompanied by a thunderous applause. Soon after, a downpour
followed. It danced with the towering trees that had been longing for a partner
all through the summer. The sweat on our shirts turned into little pools of
water in our fields, the frogs ended their hibernation and croaked a symphony
of sounds so reminiscent of our childhood days. It was green, green, green
everywhere.
By Jove! That was magic.