On 30 June 2010 02:34, Santosh Helekar <chimbel...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> But I am sure most readers of the article have
> more sense than to believe any aspect of the
> cartoonish picture sketched by it. Contributions to human
> civilization involve much more than military
> prowess and scoring goals - indeed, much more
> than even technological advancement. There is
> language, art, music, dance, literature,
> sculpture, architecture, cuisine, philosophy and
> numerous other areas of human endeavor that

The contribution of traditional societies to "modern" knowledge
remains understudied and not adequately acknowledged.  Just  came
across a journal which proposes to do this, Vigyan Bharati Pradeepika
"dedicated to identify and rediscover the original Indian science and
technology in a modern context". (rof Sureshwar Sharma, Udayachal,
1881, Gupteshwar, Jabalpur 482001 MP).

Quite some time ago, I attended (as a correspondent) a couple of
"traditional science congresses". These were held at the IIT-Bombay
and, if I recall right, the Anna University in Chennai. While there
was an element of mumbo-jumbo and unsubstantiated claims being made,
there were many amazing facts coming to light there too.

Nonetheless, whatever the achievements of the remote and recent past,
I feel we should always retain a critical element, and be willing to
accept criticism or counterviews. If it's true, then we need to face
up to it; if not, we can ignore it. At the very least, a challenge to
one's position is a kind of reality check. FN