Aires and Lionel and others like them should be congratulated for their
service to Goa as citizen watch
keepers....I hope they will start citizen watch groups in Goa, if they have
still not done so.
I was first introduced to the NRI commissioner's office at the Global Goan
Convention. I read with
interest the achievements listed recently by the NRI office, and frankly, I
thought they were substantial,
though I have nothing to compare it to. Some of the noteworthy efforts were to
create a centralized
office of employment abroad. Many Goans have told me how they had to pay huge
bribes to the
intermediary to obtain a job abroad.Also there were efforts made and
legislature introduced to protect
domestic workers in the middle East
The other achievement was the change in the law that allowed the returning
NRIs to take repossession
of their ancestral homes. This was a huge emotional gift for us.
The achievement that I thought was the greatest, was the Migration Study, the
second ever done in
India, the first being in Kerala. Migration studies do not reap immediate
benefits, but besides being a
source of pride to our children and grandchildren, help the legislators
formulate meaningful laws, and
to a scientist like me, explain clusters of genetic aberrations and what and
where to look at these for
medical purposes. Isn't it neat that we have all descended from Africans?

Expenditures:...we will only understand this if we have access to the itemized
costs. In any case, if abuse
does exist, it seems to be across the board amongst most highly placed
government employees. I
would suggest then, that this is a system problem, and that the government of
Goa give the system
accountability and transparency....Is there no central Controller who oversees
all these expenses?

Commissioner's persona
This is only relevant in the context of communication and achievement. Goan
offices as a whole do not
have the technological savvy we take for granted. One of you wrote that the
NRI Comissioner does not
type....In North America we would have promptly introduced voice activated
systems, Skype, and phone
conferences. I would say that the problem with communication is that Goa lags
behind in the use of
Technology.
And finally, time to be a little vulgar...have you heard of the quote from
some Hollywood actress about
President Jack Kennedy?..."I rather he s--w a woman than he s--w our Nation.
Celina Pereira MD