THE SINKING OF MV DARA

My late father, who worked in the Kuwait Oil Company (KOC) from the early 1940s until 1970, told me about the sinking of the MV DARA.

It was a Dubai-based passenger liner, which was built in England in 1948. It traveled mostly between the Persian Gulf and the Indian subcontinent carrying cargo, mail and expatriate passengers who were employed in the Gulf States. It sank in the Persian Gulf on April 8, 1961, as a result of a powerful explosion that caused the deaths of 238 persons, making it the second worst sinking of a ship in the history of seafaring, after the Titanic.

My father told me that one of the survivors was a Goan woman from Aldona, who was employed in Kuwait at the time. Everyone knew her by her new nickname ‘Ms DARA.’ Perhaps Cecil Pinto could throw some light on this woman. It would also be nice if we could know the number of Goans that perished in this unfortunate incident along with their names, if possible.

Moi-mogan,

Domnic Fernandes
Anjuna, Goa
Mob: 9420979201
* * *

IS YOURS one of the stories of Goans on board the S.S.
Dwarka, or at the Strait of Hormuz, Basra or Bahrain, Dubai,
Swindon, Mombasa, Poona or Rangoon? Selma Carvalho's new book
*Into the Diaspora Wilderness* docks at many other ports. Get
your copy from Broadways, Panjim [9822488564] Rs 295. P&p
extra. http://selmacarvalho.squarespace.com/