--
Samir Umarye

BICHOLIM, JULY 28
Residents of Katarwada, Bicholim Industrial Estate and surrounding
areas have demanded enquiry in the pollution caused in the area by a
chemical factory.
The residents have once again complained of pollution caused by a
chemical factory in the area, as earlier, wells were polluted, but in
the recent case reported in the area, a cow was seriously burnt due to
chemical contact.
Speaking to Herald, Aashish Govekar claimed that the chemical factory
is in operation without following any environmental rules.
“Since last one decade, there has been pollution in the area and our
wells have been already polluted due to the chemical mixture and now
it is slowly spreading to other areas,” informed Govekar.
It may be recalled that in 2001, about 10 wells in the area started
giving white water with some foul smell and it was proved that the
cause was a chemical factory in the area. Political leaders and
government officials, including the then deputy collector, had
inspected the site and had assured that the hazardous industry would
be stopped, but in vain.
“If we voice against the factory, then police and council threatens
us. We demand that the government should initiate action against this
factory, which is causing pollution,” claimed a resident.
When this scribe visited the site, it was noticed that the grass,
which is used as a grazing ground by some cows in the area, was burnt
because of chemicals.
“A cow belonging to Suresh Goverkar, who usually sits in the same
field, suffered severe burns due to the chemical reaction. The
pollution is of serious nature and the government should look into the
matter,” said a local.
When contacted, Govekar said some of his cows have got some burns due
to chemical reaction and the area is swollen.
“It happened last week and we have now treated them. The doctor gave
us some medicine and now it is improving,” said Govekar.
“It happened after one of the tanks from the chemical factory busted
and all the chemical flowed in the area behind the factory,” he added.
“Some years ago, about 14 of my cows died, but nothing happened. The
officials came and inspected, even the company denied of any such
spillage and I had to suffer the loss,” said Govekar.
Govekar, who was earlier rewarded for highest dairy farming in the
city, told Herald that there was no compensation up from the
government even when some newspapers had highlighted the issue.
“I am yet to inform the BMC chairman about the matter, but I have
communicated about the incident to Councilor Ajit Birje. The
government on one side tells everyone to go in for dairy farming and
if someone is really into it, they hardly bother to listen to him,” he
said.

* * *

UK STOCKS EXHAUSTED! After a community-supported launch at
Croydon, Selma Carvalho's *Into the Diaspora Wilderness* is
available at Broadways Book Centre, Panjim [Ph +91-9822488564]
Price (in Goa only) Rs 295. Ask a friend to pick up a copy.
Details of the book http://selmacarvalho.squarespace.com/

* * *