Sent: Tuesday, August 03, 2010 7:02 PM
Subject: Re: [Goanet] Disth?

In Mapusa, there is a house of Sequeiras' which is called 'dishtikaraguer'.
People used to go there on certain days of the week to have the evil eye
cast out.

My father and other elders of our village used to often recount strange
happenings in the village due to disht. Some women were supposed to be very
powerful in casting the evil eye. Apparently, some of these women had to
just pass a remark about how nice a person's costume was or how well fruit
had grown and that costume or fruit would somehow be affected. A lot was
perhaps co-incidence or perhaps a conscious search for cause and effect. If

* * *

How were the 1950s, East African Goans and British Overseas
Citizenship linked? Which Kenyan-Goan was one of the world
fastest sprinters in the 1960s? What did the 1878
London-Lisbon treaty mean to Goa? Find your answers in Selma
Carvalho's *Into the Goan Diaspora Wilderness*. Buy from
Broadways Book Centre, Panjim [Ph +91-9822488564] Price (in
Goa only) Rs 295.  http://selmacarvalho.squarespace.com/

* * *