Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2010 09:35:25 +0100
From: "Eddie Fernandes" <eddie.fernan...@gmail.com>
        <goanet@lists.goanet.org>
Subject: [Goanet] 'Relief for PIOs, to be allotted extendable visas only'

29 Sep. 2010. IANS.  Persons of Indian origin (PIO) visiting India will now
be issued only long-term extendable visas and not tourist visas, Goa's
Non-Resident Indian (NRI) commissioner Eduardo Faleiro said Wednesday.

Faleiro, a former union minister of state for external affairs, told
reporters here that the union government's visa manual has been revised to
ensure that PIOs do not face hardships when they visit their home country.

"Goans holding foreign passports were being given tourist visas and asked
leave the country as soon as the rather short period of the tourist visa
expired. But that has changed for the better now," Faleiro said.

"As per the revised visa manual, all Goans as well other PIOs holding
foreign passports will henceforth be issued only long-term 'X' visas
(extendable visas) and not tourist visas," he said, adding that the earlier
conditions were inhuman and unfair to PIOs, who had roots in India.

"I had earlier received several complaints from Goans holding foreign
passports that some of our embassies and high commissions abroad, issue them
tourist visas (valid for three to six months) at the end of which they have
to leave the country though they have property matters to deal with and have
families here," Faleiro said.

Source:
http://www.thaindian.com/newsportal/business/relief-for-pios-to-be-allotted-
extendable-visas-only_100436327.html

Has there been any official Govt. of India announcement about this?