Hi, seven actors and I make an appeal to you for funds for a novel project,
 a dramatic
 performance that will tour schools and colleges in Goa,
Pune, Mumbai, Bangalore,
Chennai, Ernakulam  and Delhi to raise
awareness and build public opinion against the
outrages being committed
to the Western Ghats, which as most of you already know,
is one of the
the major biological reserves of the world.

In
 Goa, where the theatre residency for this project begins on October
9th, we
are waging an almost relentless campaign to save the Ghats here
from the ravages
of mining operations intent on taking away low grade
iron ore and sending it to China.
Opinion against this has been steadily
 building up and we need to take this even further.
Last year, as you
will see from the attached review, an earlier production saw some
22
performances in various venues in Goa, and 10 in Pune and Mumbai.

This year we intend targeting schools and colleges much more and extending our
reach
wider.

Funding
 for this project started in late August and we have already managed
some
50,000 rupees and more has been committed. The monies will be
received and managed
by SPACE, the Society for the promotion of the
Arts, Culture and Education, the Panjim
based non-profit that generously
 supported the production last year, with a generous
contribution from
Carmen Miranda, the senior London-based Goan environmentalist who
is one
 of many in the western region, spearheading the campaign to save the
Ghats...

Funds
 received will pay the residency costs at a village boarding school
(where actors
will also take classes with the children), provide actors a
 modest honorarium and look after
their travel related costs on tour.
Incidentally, four of the actors ranging in age from 22 to
35 have left
jobs to take up this residency, and given two months of their time to
tour with
the performance. Monies earned from performances will be
shared equally by the actors
and associate producer travelling with
them.

Getting
 money for theatre is not easy. Ask me, I've been at it since I was 17
and in my
first year of college! So I can't tell you how much to give.
We accept anything no matter
how small. A freelance journalist from New
Delhi, kicked by what we were doing, transferred
1,500 rupees to the
SPACE bank account (details given below, and signed by Lisa
Dias-Noronha,
its competent treasurer, also marked in this mail). We
accept any amount no matter how small. All transactions may please be
notified to Lisa, who will duly keep you posted on our work and

performances.

We
 will be ready with our performance (a loose interpretation of Farid
ud-din Attar's Conference
of the Birds performed in a language of sounds
 that we will invent in residence) by the 24th to
begin touring in Goa.
After that we are more than open to performances in other cities. So
help
needed there too...

 am out of all communication from tomorrow, when I head to the hills
where the residency starts.
Terence Jorge marked in this mail with me,
is the associate producer for this production and will
answer any
further queries.

 am attaching a review of the performance last year and a few links that
 give you the larger
picture. Please share this mail with your close
friends who love theatre...

Cheers,
Hartman

(Bank details below links)
http://openspaceindia.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=373:for-mother-earth&catid=133:articles-a-essays&Itemid=112

http://qtpthescript.blogspot.com/2009/08/was-sitting-in-audience-mouth-agape.html

http://kafila.org/2009/11/21/the-curses-of-paikdev-a-lament-for-water-hartman-de-souza/#comments

Name of Bank: Bank of Indi
Branch: Panaji Branch
Account No.: 100720110000234
Name of Beneficiary: SPACE (Society for Promoting the Arts, Culture & Education)
IFSC code: BKID0001007

SPACE thanks you for your efforts.
For SPACE
Lisa Dias-Noronha