Another Saturday, a stormy Saturday in Goa with squally winds accompanied by rains in the afternoon in Goa. Time for Goanet Intros once again.

Today, it is my pleasure to introduce a prolific blogger and poster, not only on Goanet but also in most of Goa's dailies, Mr. Arwin Mesquita.

Arwin who hails from Colva in Goa is a Senior Brand Manager at Nautica Middle East and is resident in Abu Dhabi, UAE.

Arwin is professionally well qualified with an MBA under his belt.

An outgoing personality, naturally one finds him socializing when he finds time away from blogging and posting on the net and bombarding Goa's dailies about his concerns for Goa. He has addressed his social concerns for Goa by giving two presentations on (the unique) Goan Identity in the UAE specifically in Abu Dhabi and Dubai. Perhaps his connection with the Jaycee movement prodded him to go this route. So much is he concerned about the Goan Identity that he has created a Facebook group ( http://www.facebook.com/Goan_Identity)<http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#%21/search.php?q=GOAN%20IDENTITY%20MOVEMENT.&init=quick&tas=0.7273019188683432> )

(Please do visit the site and leave a comment) While in the Gulf, Arwin has not forgotten his village and found time for his village club when he was in Kuwait - the Colva United Centre where he has held office as treasurer.

His hobbies also include reading and walking and he is deeply interested in retail, world affairs, business. Arwin, a day has only 24 hours or 86, 400 seconds. Are there enough of them to cover all this activities, besides eat, sleep and relax? You really are something to cram all these activities in a day!

A widely traveled man of the world, Arwin has been a globe trotter literally. He has traveled to the US, UK, France, Italy, Greece, Cyprus, Austria, Czechoslovakia, Egypt, Syria, Kuwait, Bahrain, Saudi Arabia, Oman, Qatar, He has done his schooling up to the Higher Secondary stage in Kuwait.

His extensive travel to the Gulf countries has given him a good grasp of the Middle East.

When I asked Arwin which country he liked the best, he mentioned Austria and Czechoslovakia which he singled out for their uniqueness. Surprising? Not at all, given Arwin's fixation with Uniqueness of Identity.

And before I wind up giving what Arwin thinks is his best post to Goanet, here is a request to the people I have written to asking you to send in your self introduction. Please do cooperate with us to introduce you so that your personality stands out in your letters and the readers appreciate you and your communications better!

So here goes with Arwin's best post.

*Subject: Respect Our Right to Identity.*

* *

Goans are increasingly opposing Land Sales to Non-Goans. I request Non-Goans to appreciate our basis. Yes, Goans can buy land in many Indian states/Western countries. But let's look at this in a bigger perspective; *this time globally*; I'll take the UK example, just to drive my point.

I read an impressive column recently in the UAE media by a UK government minister. It was ref. the new UK immigration laws; highlight was while the UK has to be fair to other countries, at the same time it needed them, particularly India in the letter, to respect each nations right to protect its genuine interests.

We appreciate why the UK/Western Countries i.e.Main Globalisation/Democratic Free World drivers enact controls against non-locals. In UK, non-locals can buy land, but immigration controls ensure that the UK is not open to all. Those questioning my views from UAE, please note that although locals here are in minority there are safeguards e.g. No Expatriate Political Rights, No Citizenship, Restrictive Real Estate Buying laws etc. to ensure that the UAE remains with its people.

Each community has limits to which non-locals can buy land/emigrate (with political rights). Goa has way crossed this limit; beyond which we have to put safeguards; the current rate will make Goans irrelevant & no community can accept the same for themselves. I'd argue today that Goans are more tolerant than most other communities. The REAL ISSUE is that GOA HAS NO CONTROLS ON REAL ESTATE PURCHASES/IMMIGRATION (mostly non local Indians).

For those quoting the constitution (A) Goa had no influence to framing of the constitution i.e. India acquisition of Goa much later in 1961 (B) Some states have special provisions; Goa is also an exception; just because we *"failed"* to get safeguards in 1961, does not right the wrong (C) The Constitution is not cast in stone and for just basis, should be modified to protect the people; from which a democratic constitution should have been driven; not vice-versa!!

I accept criticism that Goans are to be blamed significantly for the issue because of our actions/in-actions; but also issues of Land Sales to Non-Goans & Uncontrolled Migration are significant and need to be addressed urgently. Goans should support your right to your identity/interests, likewise please respect our right to the same.

*Arwin Mesquita, Abu Dhabi.*

Tony de Sa.
tonyd...@gmail.com

_/
_/ tambdimati: the Goa review is a community blog of original
_/ art, writing, music, news and commentary from and about the
_/ smallest state in the subcontinent. check out the newest
_/ member of the Goanet family daily at
_/ http://www.tambdimati.com.
_/