estb. 1994!"A Portuguese passport to get a third class citizenship of
Europe??:-))Cheersflorianogoasuraj9890470896----- Original Message ----- From:
"Arwin Mesquita" <arwinmesqu...@gmail.com>To: "Goanet"
<goa...@goanet.org>Subject: [Goanet] Goan Un-Necessary Migration
MindsetRecently, I saw a BBC documentary on migration touched upon the
sizeableGoan Community in Swindon, UK.The Documentary showed some UK Goans,
making a difficult living via jobslike carpentry, cleaning, plumbing etc The
Irony is that in Goa today, thesevery tasks can earn significant income and
it?s very difficult to get suchlabour in Goa today. Goans are OK to do such
jobs outside for a comparablelesser net savings vs. a good earning opportunity
in Goa!!
Comments :  Camilo FernandesWhile I appreciate the personal views/comments of
Floriano that "A Portuguese passport to get a third class citizenship of
Europe", I dont think anyone who has migrated to Europe is treated as a third
class citizenship.  On what basis did he  make such conclusion.   If anyone has
migrated it is for economic reasons and for better quality of life.  Can one
compare the quality of life here to India?  We have the same rights as the
locals as regards jobs, medical facilities, school/colleges/universities,
voting, housing etc.  In fact due  to rush of  immigrants, the original
inhabitants find it difficult to get houses, medical treatment, admission to
schools/colleges,  jobs and hospital treatment etc.   There is nothing to stop
one from taking up 2 jobs.  I know many hard working Indians holding 2 jobs
i.e. one full time and other part time or maybe weekend.  Then here one only
works 5 days with the weekend being off.  Working hard pays off here. We c
 an live here comfortably while most Indians inspite of all the hard work in
India, just exist.
In fact I often wonder how the locals tolerate and accept all this  and find
themselves treated as second class citizens in their own country.  Imagine an
Indian/Goan in Goa being  deprived of a job due to the job being taken away by
a foreigner.  We would  just not tolerate this.  Look at Mumbai, where in
reality  the rule of Thackereys Shiv Sena  prevails.    Leave foreigners they
consider anyone who is a non Maharastrian as an outsider and use violent means
against them.  Inspite of we all being Indians their philosophy is Mumbai is
only for Maharastrians and all Indians are equal only in name.  As regards the
Goan community in Swindon, I feel most  Goans have got an uplift in lives only
due to migrating here.  Yes everyone may not get a choice job and has to take
up any job atleast at the start  but remember many of them are not eudacted and
hence are and should be willing to take up any job.  The important point is all
jobs are respected here and all jobs are decently pa
 id jobs.  No one looks down on any job. Even the office cleaner will come by
car and is well respected and never looked down upon unlike India.   I know so
many Goans who were unemployed back home, are having fabulous jobs and can save
a substantial amount.  Initially one may have to be ready to take up any job
without complaining as these jobs are also decently paid and can never be
compared to India.    Added to this are the other perks where one gets i.e.
benefits, free education, medical//hospitalisation  and in many cases even
council housing.  Most Goans initially would be staying in rented houses but
very soon own their houses ofcourse taking up mortgages from banks.
  Contrast this with many Goans working in Gulf countries where there is so
much discrimination and the locals are first class citizens while others no
matter what position/status they hold are deprived of rights.  I am not saying
all is rosy but overall live here is so much comfortable.   Even the law
protects racial discrimination and it believes that there should be zero
tolerance.  After a reasonable period say 5 to 6 years, one is eligible to get
British citizenship and then one is eligible for all benefits enjoyed by the
locals.  There is no pollution, no overcrowding pushing and no mad rush, no
corruption and I may add it is like living decently and not just existing as
many do in India.
If there was no corruption, pollution, good and affodable education, medical
facilities, well paid jobs, decent affordable housing etc. one would never have
thought of migrating even if an opportunity arose.  It is only thanks to the
Portuguese that we got the  right  to come to migrate to Europe.  Ashwin says
that "in Goa many tasks can earn significant income and Goans are ok to do such
jobs outside for a comprarable lesser net savings v/s. a good earning
opportunity in Goa."  I dont understand how he can compare earnings here with
earnings back home.  What about the quality of life i.e. pollution,
overcrowding, lack of affordable medical facilities, favouritism in getting
choice jobs etc.   If all is rosy in Goa/India then why should people take up
jobs overseas in the Gulf,  where there is so much discrimination, on ships
etc. One has also to look at the future and long term prospects of our
family/children.  Could we afford the best education in India with fierce
competi
 tion and such exorbitant fees.    In India if we were like the Tatas, Ambanis,
Birlas etc. maybe then there would never have been any reason to migrate. We
are sure the children/future generations would be happy and grateful for the
decision of migrating.Lastly I am not advocating migration but am giving my
personal views to the ones given above.With best wishes,Dev borem korumCamilo
Fernandes

_/
_/ tambdimati: the Goa review is a community blog of original
_/ art, writing, music, news and commentary from and about the
_/ smallest state in the subcontinent. check out the newest
_/ member of the Goanet family daily at
_/ http://www.tambdimati.com.
_/