I enjoyed reading the article written by Jason Keith Fernandes on "Sneezing at
the Brahmanical Polemics at the Global Goan Convention.

In a letter I had published in the Goan Chaplaincy Contact magazine in London I
had written "Caste", "class" or whatever other name you wish to use, may be
based
on a different system, but exists in societies all over the world, not just
among Goans. In England, predominantly a Christian country, you have the
aristocracy class,
the upper middle class, the middle class, the lower middle class and the
working class which still exist today just as you have the "Bamons", the
"Chardos", the
"Mahars" and the "Kunbis" in Goa. Those of you who appear thankful that the
"class" system has evaporated in the Western world will, I am sure, have their
belief
shattered if they spend time in "villages" in England speaking to the "gentry"
there.

In an article by Kevin Hobson "The Indian Caste System and the British", he
states "The caste system has been a fascination of the British since their
arrival in India
in the 18th century. Coming from a society that was divided by class, the
British attempted to equate the caste system to the class system. As late as
1937
Professor T. C. Hodson stated that: "Class and caste stand to each other in the
relation of family to species. The general classification is by classes, the
detailed
one by castes."

However, I agree with what Jason Keith Fernandes concludes "Merely because it
has gained credibility over time however does not make it right, it only makes
the
task of dealing with it, and the sneaky manner in which it secretes itself into
our work, that much more difficult."

Rose Fernandes
Surrey
United Kingdom