This is with reference to news reports that some Muslims from Davorlim
are upset with Churchill for printing his photo on the prayer cards.

(
http://goa4u.com/2011/07/29/churchill%E2%80%99s-photo-on-prayer-schedule-cards-irks-muslims/
)

On this issue, I find the community leader Sheikh Jina’s stance
hypocritical because on the one hand he seems to have no objection to
funding of the printing by Churchill but is only opposed to the 'PWD
Minister' printing his picture on it. His religious sentiments appear
to be hurt. Not his moral ones where he sees nothing wrong in
accepting the undue favor from the Minister from Salcete.

This seems to be the basic problem with politics and governance in
Goa. Being a land of numerous events and festivals, we keep
approaching our politicians to fund us.  Come Id or Diwali or
Christmas and there will be the groups who will approach the local
politician for a sponsorship. Then, there are also the beat shows, the
Dances, the College Festivals, the Narkasurs and the Tournaments where
the Politician is expected to contribute handsomely.

It is natural that any politician who will fund such an event will
demand his or her pound of flesh in exchange. For every investment,
there must be a proportional return. These are the rules of the trade
for everyone. The mileage will come in various forms, through names
appearing on the banners, or on the free books or via photographs
which is what has happened in the present case. But one cannot single
out Churchill for fault here. During festivals and occasions, there
are many others who are doing virtually the same. If you take a round
through the streets of Goa during festivals, you will see the
photographs of politicians plastered all over with their greetings.
Newspapers too will be full of such advertisements.

Now I am no supporter of the Alemaos. I strongly detest their style of
functioning, their constant political blackmail and the 'Family Raj'
they want to impose on the rest of Goa but I cannot hold them at fault
in this present case. The fault lays with us people. Politicians-
being politicians – will seek their mileage in exchange for their
‘sponsorships’. So instead of opposing our politicians on the grounds
of “hurt religious sentiments”, let us resolve to oppose them on moral
grounds. The people must resolve not to trade their votes for the odd
“sponsorship” or two. The corrupt and the ‘Mercenary’ politicians must
be booted out!

Cheers,
Sandeep