Dear Gerry,

First, let me say that I appreciate this honest, sober and substantive effort
to discuss a topic of general intellectual interest. This kind of a thing is
rare on Goanet. Not the general interest part, but the honesty, sobriety and
substance.

Second, the topic of spirituality and brain function is something on which I
happen to have hands on experience, having conducted experimental research on
EEG and ERP correlates of spiritual practices such as meditation, and published
original ideas on brain basis of subjective experience. I am very much familiar
with the material presented in the papers you have cited. To make a long story
short, the fact that a spiritual practice is correlated with physical and
chemical changes in the brain does not mean that spirituality is helpful as a
treatment for any condition. Any human activity produces physical and chemical
changes in the brain. Brain function is the essential mechanism underlying our
very existence as sentient behaving organisms.

Finally, let me address the points listed by you based on my own understanding,
knowledge base, and attempts to obtain evidence, or lack thereof, in support of
them.

A) Not just mental health professionals, but many other types of professionals
have to face occupational stress. But I submit to you that the kind of stress
that is the cause of most psychological problems is the one that is faced by
every person who raises a family, has to make ends meet, has deep personal
relationships, and bears the burden of personal and financial responsibilities.

B) I agree.

C) Not true. Harvard University merely has some physicians and researchers who
are investigating the role of spirituality in health. Their research studies
have not shown conclusive results, as far as the beneficial effects of
spiritual practices in treating any specific mental health condition, is
concerned. They also tend to hold some lectures and symposiums on this subject
from time to time. This kind of activity also happens at other universities,
including my own. But this does not mean that spiritual training or guidance is
part of medical education and practice today.

D) The incidence of murder-suicides among mental health professionals is also
negligible.

E) There is no evidence that spirituality helps mental health professionals
cope with occupational hazards. It is also unethical to impose the spiritual
beliefs or practices of any religion on believers of other religions and on
non-believers, especially in the secular workplace and professional setting,
and in institutions supported by tax payer funds, subject to the constitutional
separation of Church and State.

F) This statement is not borne by facts because there is no evidence that the
murder-suicide rate in Catholic priests is less than that in mental health
professionals. Furthermore, murder-suicides most often take place in the
context of close family relationships, house-hold problems, and love and sexual
affairs. Indeed, one study concluded that murder-suicides were committed most
often by elderly couples with failing mental and physical health, and
pathologically possessive men who were estranged from their wives or girl
friends. Other studies have re-affirmed the fact that murder-suicides
invariably occur in a private home involving family members. The latter issues
and the stresses that come from family problems, and love and sex (please see
point A above) are obviously not applicable to Catholic priests at all.
Murder-suicides also take place today in the context of religious terrorism and
spiritual cult movements. So spirituality or the corrupted
 version of it certainly works to the disadvantage of these people and the rest
of society in these cases.

G) Please see the refutation of this above.

Therefore, the rest of your speculations do not rest on any solid fact-based
foundation from the standpoint of medical education and mental health practice.
We also know from the child sex abuse and other scandals of the past that the
spiritual and moral beliefs that you mention have not had much potency in
curtailing crime among the clergy. If you carefully review and critically
assess the latest available literature on the psychology of spirituality you
will find that the only real benefit that it provides is in the realm of social
cohesiveness, fellowship and camaraderie. Spiritual practices such as prayer
and meditation might also promote a relaxed and peaceful state of mind, which
other simple relaxation and mindfulness techniques can also replicate.

Cheers,

Santosh