Can we say sayonara to corruption forever ?

Thank You Annaji ! All the fizz and the buzz of the last two weeks has
finally died down, the news and the talks on TV were indeed getting
monotonous and overbearing and we, the Indian public have had enough
of it, to last us a life time and now the forever hungry Indian media
will have to wait for yet another fast or yet another scam to feast
on.

Anna’s loud and aggressive tirade against corruption is a worthy cause
which people of all walks of life have embraced, with open arms and
clenched fists, there is no doubt that corruption has been a curse
that’s been usurped and promoted by our erstwhile and present
political luminaries to such an extent that in the last few years,
scams have been surfacing like mushrooms, on a mushroom farm,
curtailing and barricading the social and economic growth of the
states and the country.

There is absolutely no doubt that our politicians especially the
Congress, tried to bulldoze the bill with it’s dictatorial mindset
trying to emphasize that bill making was their congenital right as
elected representatives and the public should have to live with it,
come what may, but with Anna’s obstinacy and the dissenting voices
clamoring for a change, growing steadily louder by the day, a remedial
legislative action had to be taken for damage control, but
unfortunately the damage done by the Congress attitude and the delay
is certainly well beyond repairs.

Corruption, like bigotry can take on more insidious forms, if allowed
to incubate and spread, not that they both are a new found phenomena,
what I want to say is, if both are allowed open space and time, they
can be equally dangerous for the wellbeing of the people as well as
the country, so every marginalised group will have to be brought under
the ambit of this bill and we will also need to stigmatize corruption
as the perennial appendage of all evil and shame by punishing the
guilty with firmness and harshness, no matter who, leaving no doubt of
its far reaching and dire consequences, instead of just ostensibly
promising action against those professing and promoting corruption.

Even though Anna’s crusade has been supported by majority Indians
because of its critical issue, there has been criticism too from some
quarters because of his RSS background and the Modi issue, but these
however cannot dilute the efforts of this seventy four year old to
fight corruption. Knowing our politicians, we understand what they
stand for and why they stand for, so BJP’s double feet plunge in
support of Anna in the last days of fast can be very easily identified
and analyzed without much of an effort. So also some politicians form
either side of the great divide have made statements and showed their
presence in support of the anti corruption crusade of Anna but we all
know why, elections are just round the corner.

Anna being a simple man with a simple mind could be vulnerable to
manipulations from our highly skillful manipulators in all forms and
colours and I only hope Anna and his henchmen and women are wise and
cautious enough to identify the hyenas on the prowl in their midst.

If the Bill has to be a success we will have to be vigilant and cover
every loophole that may allow corruption to proliferate under it’s
very nose and eyes undetected and above all, to facilitate the
effectiveness of this Bill we ourselves will have to say no to
corruption and become incorruptible, but even then the monumental
question that perturbs me most is, will the Jan Lokpal Bill be the one
Bill army, a solution to all our myriad problems ? With this bill,
will we be able to say sayonara to corruption forever ?

Freddy Agnelo Fernandes