To remember the early Goan immigrants to Zanzibar in the very early 1900`s I need go no further than than the husband of of my god-mother..... a gent who later ran a bar ( Victory Bar )in that island. It is reported that he , excitedly watching a soccer game, wanting to encourage his team shouted repeatedly ..." KICK LOUD ".to the forwards in his favourites..... his literal transalation of the Konkani " forsan mar ".......that the name " Kick Loud Fernandes " was then attributed to him only to distinguish him from the other Fernandes`s in Zanzibar. In my memory the only way they spoke of the family was " the kickloud Fernandes family "....so as to identify them.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mervyn & Elsie Maciel" <mervynels.watuwasha...@gmail.com>
To: <goanet@lists.goanet.org>
Sent: Tuesday, March 20, 2012 1:41 PM
Subject: [Goanet] "Goan Engleesh"

Just as Frederick's ear was "attracted to their innovative use of language",
my shrinking memory took me back to my holidays in my ancestral village
of Saloi(Salvador-do-Mundo). When playing in a friendly football match
on an open field, an oft heard expression was:

   "shoot men" ( meaning, 'pass the ball')

Wish I could think of a few more, but there must be many youngsters(burge)
on goanet who could come up with better gems.

Mervyn Maciel

                      Protect Goa's natural beauty

                   Support Goa's first Tiger Reserve

 Sign the petition at:     http://www.goanet.org/petition/petition.php

                      Protect Goa's natural beauty

                   Support Goa's first Tiger Reserve

 Sign the petition at:     http://www.goanet.org/petition/petition.php

  • ... Mervyn & Elsie Maciel
    • ... joe lobo
    • ... Frederick FN Noronha फ्रेड्रिक नोरोन्या *فريدريك نورونيا