Regarding those of us who lived in East Africa.......my wife and I have nothing
but the fondest memories of our lives in Tanzania, the land of our birth, where
we were educated, got married and had two of our children.

We did not have much money, and we lived in relatively cramped quarters, but
those were the best days of our lives, bar none.  We have lived in other
countries since leaving Tanzania, earned much more money, lived in much bigger
homes in relative luxury.  Yet nothing can compare with the life we had in
Tanzania.  Every single ex-Tanzanian I have talked to, has expressed the same
sentiments.  The Goan Tanzanian spirit is celebrated in
style in Toronto which hosts the annual Tanzanite picnic and the Grand
Tanzanite Ball.
While I speak about Tanzania, I am sure the same holds true for Goans who lived
in Kenya and Uganda  In fact Goanetters Merwyn Maciel and Braz Menezes have
penned books that reflects their love for the people and the lives that they
lived in Kenya.

While there still are quite a few Goans mostly in Kenya and Tanzania, those of
us who
left those countries, had no alternative, because of the Africanization of the
positions we held mostly in Government service.  We were not bitter, because in
my opinion, it was
only just that the indigenious people of those countries were given the
opportunity to
govern themselves. It was time for us to move on and seek greener pastures.

I continue to have the greatest respect for the Africans.  Having visited
Tanzania twice
since migrating out of there,,  on my return I was welcomed warmly, and was
even told on two separate instances,  that  I was a "brother" and I should come
back home.  Of course
conversing in fluent Kiswahili was very helpful. The Tanzanian African
considers hinself
second to none.  I found the younger generation, who have no memory of the
colonial era to be self confident, well educated, very efficient in what they
do and very friendly.

I have not read Selma's narrative on her East African Goans project.
Unfortunately,she was picked on because of her description of some of the older
folks from East Africa.
I look forward to reading her book or narrative, and meeting her in person some
day.
She is a talented writer and her contribution to this forum is sorely missed.
I sincerely
hope that after a period of reflection, she will return to this forum.