Dear Roland

Unlike most countries, India has no dual citizenship (you are either Indian or
you are not). We do have the facility to apply for documents "PIO" (Person of
Indian Origin) or "OCI" (Overseas Citizen of India) to enable all of us living
overseas to keep our link with our villages on the Indian Sub-Continent. I know
of
Indian Nationals with Jumbo passports who carry their Jumbo passports with
pride as they travel from country to country on business. The visa hassle is
quite
normal as each country has to check that the people being allowed in are
genuine with no criminal or other intentions.

In the present world, all passengers travelling need to provide information
requested on APIS (Advanced Passenger Information System), in addition, those
travelling to America have to inform authorities on-line on ESTA (Electronic
System for Travel Authorisation).

I am not sure what the reasons are why elements of our community are leaving
Goa, the rule is as soon as you get a Portuguese Passport you need to leave the
country within 45 days as you have chosen to no longer be a national of India
and hence not the responsibility of the Indian Government. Being a Portuguese
National and then applying for OCI/PIO is a different matter. Those who have
not surrendered their Indian Passport face fines of over 1,000 GBP when found
out.

Interested readers may wish to refer to the following websites:

http://www.immihelp.com/nri/dual.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_nationality_law
Under paragraph "Automatic termination of Indian citizenship" - see the wording
on stamp on passport

Every state in India has an NRI office that looks after the interests of the
state and its sons and daughters abroad. In Goa there is the Goa Card issued by
the
Director of NRI Affairs, Government of Goa, the main purpose is to speed up
dealings with government officers, discounts at hotels and other benefits
including
hospitals as it is appreciated visitors have a short time in Goa on their
vacation.

In your goanet posting you have written:

Quote: ......others may not be looking for an immigration path at all. There
are Bombay Goans I know who go to Europe frequently on business as well as
pleasure and complain about the visa procedural hassles for Indian passport
holders. An EU passport will avoid all of this, not to mention the not
inconsiderable visa costs involved. That the latter will have to conceal their
EU passports until they travel, is neither here nor there....Unquote

Indian Nationals require just ONE Schengen Visa to travel to 22 Schengen Visa
Countries who are members of the European Union (EU) and four who are non-
EU members. These countries are: Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark,
Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia,
Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland,
Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland.

The following European countries are not a part of the Schengen zone, namely:
The UK, Ireland, Croatia, Cyprus, Romania, Serbia, Bosnia & Herzgovina,
Belarus, Macedonia, Moldova, Ukraine and Russia. If you want to travel to or
even pass through any of these by train, bus or car, you will have to apply to
the
concerned country for a separate visa

Readers can obtain information on a Shengen Visa on the following websites:
http://www.letstravelzine.com/schengenvisaforindians.html
http://indiancompass.com/2012/05/schengen-visa-which-european-country-to-apply-from/

I do not feel that the organisers of the Seminar on Portuguese Citizenship are
aiming for a target audience of Indian citizens who would like EU passports as
they travel frequently on business/pleasure, so that they can conceal this EU
Passport until travel, in order avoid visa and procedural hassles.

Rose Fernandes
Thornton Heath, Surrey, United Kingdom