----- Original Message ----- From: floriano
To: Navhind Times
Sent: Tuesday, October 02, 2012 8:12 PM
Subject: FYI- Re: ENDOSULFAN - NT Editorial - 2.10.2012 - GSRP Comments

October 2, 2012

To,
The Editor,
Navhind Times.
Panjim-Goa.

Sir,

Re: Your Editorial on Endosulfan Pesticide.

The sole known Pesticide manufacturing company in Goa is SYNGENTA at Khorlim-Old Goa. When I read the NT editorial on ENDOSULFAN (NT- 2.10.2012) and it's rampant presence in the vegetables imported from Belgaum into Goa, my first reaction was to phone a friend who would know about these things happening in Goa. And I was happy to hear from him that Endosulfan is no more the product manufactured by Syngenta Goa. Was I happy?

My google search has yielded these results, the links to them are given herebelow. Starting from the Supreme Court order, this is a nice little treat. However, I am very much surprised that ICAR Goa is still recommending ENDOSULFAN as a potent pesticide. How Come Mr. Manohar Parrikar??? Will you check on this?? Or at least tell your Health Minister to check this out and stop it???

Incidentally, I am very unhappy that Goa's FDA [Food and Drugs Administration] does not have any facility to test the pesticide contents in fresh imported vegetables and have to rely on Pune, Delhi etc. How come none of the successive Goa governments did not feel the need to have this lab is beyond my comprehension. At least a CM, a Deputy CM was Goa's illustrious medicine man in Dr. Wilfred D'Souza. How come dear Doctor, you never thought of this being in the profession?? And the tax payer's money went into IFFI, Laadli Laxmi et al and other wasteful expenditures which fetched heavy commissions to the political class but not a cent into protecting the tax-payers from these life threatening hazards. Why? Simply because having a modern lab to test for pesticides or other adulterations in foods and beverages do not bring in essential VOTES . Other things do. In'it ?

And I happened to leaf through our Party's ROAD MAP FOR GOA since we claim that this is a document of a lifetime that we have painstakingly prepared, actually slogged very hard to prepare. I wanted to see if we did touch upon the topic of FDA and the need for a modern LAB to test for all these poisons in our daily foods. And I was happy that we did.

And here it is --Chapter V- PUBLIC HEALTH-HYGIENE & HEALTHCARE - (2d) FOOD & DRUG ADMINISTRATION

(d)  Food & Drug Administration:
This Department shall be totally activated to change the outlook of how fresh meats, fish, vegetables and readymade food stuffs etc. are stored/sold in the State. The FDA shall, in particular, check on the expiry dates of food stuffs manufactured locally or imported in order to safeguard the health of the people and also to discourage unhealthy marketing practices. FDA shall be empowered to move quickly and efficiently to remove expired, banned or contaminated items from the market place and dispose off such materials effectively. The sale of pharmaceuticals as well as narcotic drugs shall be strictly monitored. Sale and consumption of banned drugs shall be heavily penalized. Vigilance on food adulteration and adulteration in bottling of local and foreign made liquors shall be strictly maintained and violators brought to book with revocation of respective licenses. Well equipped food and beverages testing laboratory shall be set up in the State.

Floriano Lobo
General Secretary & Spokesperson
GOA SU-RAAJ PARTY.

Address: 383A Pirazona-Moira-Bardez-Goa-403 507
Telephone: Mobile: 9890470896; 9422060347 - L/line-Fax: (0832) 2470223
Email: floriano.l...@gmail.com
Website: www.goasu-raj.org  for downlod of ROAD MAP FOR GOA.

http://www.sci.nic.in/outtoday/wc21311_30sep.pdf Supreme Court Order . Goa is represented by Ms. A. Subhashini,Adv. http://tech.dir.groups.yahoo.com/group/bsg-goa/message/1461 Alert on Endosulfan by Miguel Braganza in 2009 http://cisr.ucr.edu/pdf/rpw_icar_goa_pamphlet.pdf ICAR ENCOURAGES ENDOSULFAN INSECTICIDE http://www.downtoearth.org.in/content/endosulfan-victims-through-years?quicktabs_1=1 Endosulfan victims through the years. http://www.downtoearth.org.in/content/centre-favours-manufacture-endosulfan Centre favours manufacture of ENDOSULFAN ... What an irresponsible Country!!! http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/topic/endosulfan-in-India - Endosulfan in India - Ex-Environment Minister Jairam Ramesh is on record for having said that he is neither 'against' nor 'for' endosulfan in India. Was he raving Mad??? Or, was he on the payroll of the Pesticide manufacturers???

Goa Su-Raj Party strongly believes that Parliamentary Elections must be contested by National Parties only AND/OR by a Federation of State Regional Parties. with a reciprocating understanding by the National Parties that the 'State Elections' shall be the prerogative of State Registered Political Parties only. Even then, and in the absence of such a ruling by the Election Commission of India, GSRP would want GOANS who are ERUDITE, knowledgeable about India and its problems, as well as World affairs, 'STATESMEN/WOMEN' , to contest on it's 'TICKET' in the coming 2014 Parliamentary Elections. Let GOA endeavour to send two real Parliamentarians to the House of the People in New Delhi for once.