It is true that Economic factors were a part of the equation that drove Goans
to emigrate. But if you do not have that pioneering spirit, then you will not
venture outside your comfort zone. A good example are the Hindu Goans who did
not venture outside Goa in any considerable numbers. Leave aside going to
inhospitable places like remote corners of Africa. These Hindus did not even
venture of Bombay or other parts in any significant numbers.As for the Goans in
Karachi making a personal choice, this too was an adventure, and is a lot to do
with our pioneering spirit.

As far as new immigrants are concerned, precisely what I say, they are not
inclined to join the GOA as they have no history of belonging to any sort of
club. This club system was a truly British of European one from which Goans who
came from British Ruled Colonies emulated and when the British left India, the
exclusive clubs which they attended gradually disappeared. This is perhaps due
to the Indian cultural system of Cast and creed and not social status as the
British had. Therefore the new batch of immigrants have no concept of the club
system and see no value in becoming part of one thus they are a non factor in
today's Goan society in Foreign lands.There were of course the Goan clubs in
Bombay but these too were mostly cast driven.

 It is heartening to note that the GOA Toronto is in recovery mode. How nice
would it be had we had the clubhouse. Don't tell me that there were constraints
beyond our control which would take two decades to resolve. WHERE THERE'S A
WILL, THERE'S A WAY. I think that not much genuine effort was put into the
project and those on the building committee had neither the time nor the
inclination to see the project to fruition.
If there were constraints regarding Zoning etc. at least the grounds could have
and should have been developed and used for sporting activities. As you say,
the Annual Sports Day is being revived, had the grounds been developed, for
which I presume there were no constraints, wouldn't it be a prestigious event
to be hosted on our own grounds? Sadly, I must conclude that in a couple of
decades, there will not be any semblance of Goan culture left in any Diaspora
communities of Goans anywhere except in Goa, and that too, with the influx  of
Ghantis is doubtful. If however, we have to sort of force our youth to
participate in cultural events and resurrect some bygone events which seemed to
have died a natural death for how much longer will this survive?

I thank Gabe Menezes for setting the record regarding the GOA UK which he
states burned down to the ground resulting in an insurance claim which paid up
a tidy sum which presumably has not been utilized for any resurgence of club
building activities.Thanks Gabe for correcting my error.

Manuel ( Eddie) Tavares.