Dear Marcos,
     Your family and mine have had a familial relationship going back to my
father's time, which began in 1881. I therefore take what you write very
seriously and give your words the weight they deserve.
     I have read your current post very carefully. You have given us your own
eyewitness account of having seen cases of liquor stacked in the room of an
Indian Army man who like you was staying at the Mandovi Hotel in 1962. You have
given us your revered relative Mons. Gomes-Catao's account of Indian army
personnel stealing plumbing equipment from Old Goa churches. These are obvious
examples of wrongdoing that I join you in condemning.
     However, earlier in your post you mention Adv. Antonio Lobo "not delving
into the suffering faced by the general populace at the hands of army personnel
in the form of robberies, rapes, harrassment and intimidation, which are widely
known perhaps to survivors of my generation but difficult to raise... without
[being able to cite] specific instances."
     Then, to make your accusations stick, you add: "However, I do recollect
some specific cases of which I was a witness or [on which] I got information
from impeccable sources."
     Those impeccable sources included yourself, a taxi driver, and the
Monseigneur. I accept them all. But that testimony referred only to thefts of
goods, not to rapes. You have proven to my satisfaction that stuff was stolen,
but you have not produced a jot of evidence that there were numerous rapes.
     People keep accusing the Indian Army of committing multiple rapes, but
that charge is unsubstantiated. My own oldest sister, now deceased, who hated
the thought of Goa being invaded, admitted to me that very few rapes had been
committed by the Indian troops. And when I pressed her on this, and asked, "How
many?", she could only point to two.
     The reports of multiple rapes are a canard, and I am sorry to see someone
of your stature perpetuating them by saying they are "widely known perhaps to
survivors of my generation." I am such a survivor, and I have spoken to other
survivors who lived in Goa at the time, and some of them are my cousins, but
they had no personal knowledge of multiple rapes being committed by the Indian
Army, only hearsay. Significantly, the hearsay came from people who had an
interest in smearing an army that had routed their Portuguese "heroes."
     With my very best personal regards,
     Victor Rangel-Ribeiro