MAPUSA: The government, at the last moment, has cancelled the election to
Serulacomunidade scheduled for Sunday even as it will conduct polls of other
comunidade bodies.

Gaunkars and share holders who were readying to cast their vote on Sunday were
left disappointed as the election has been deferred once again.

In the past, senior politicians have shown interest in Serula comunidade polls
for obvious reasons. And sources say, this time, it is no different and that is
perhaps, one of the reasons why the elections have been deferred.

Sources said that a minister's brother has taken keen interest in the poll and
is attempting to control the comunidade. On the Porvorim plateau itself,
several commercial establishments including some along Chogm road are in
comunidade land.

A gaunkar said that an influential person who was allotted a small space is
running a construction material business on the site.

While Congress leader Dayanand Narvekar and others used to take control of the
comunidade in the past, now politicians of the ruling party, notwithstanding
their statements to keep politics out of such organizations, are busy to wrest
control of the body, sources said.

Addressing a press conference in Mapusa on Saturday, the gaunkars of the Serula
comunidade informed that the election was initially to be held on December 2,
which was postponed to December 20 by the administrator. Later, the elections
were fixed for January 20. It is now postponed with no fresh date given for the
elections.

"The order was issued on Thursday by the administrator that the elections will
be held on January 20. On Friday, a fresh order was issued stating the
elections are postponed without explaining any reasons for the postponement,"
said Joseph Pinto, who is contesting the election for the first time.

"There is a fear and anxiety in the minds of the gaunkars of the Serula
comunidade as to why the officials are playing hide-and-seek in holding the
election. The chief minster should intervene and resolve the issues," Pinto
said. "We want the elections to be held peacefully as per the Code of the
comunidades. We heard that some are recontesting the elections but as per the
code's Article 50, sitting representative cannot contest the election again,"
said Denis D'Souza, a gaunkar.

"We want transparent elections to be held. Our main contention is why the delay
in holding the elections. Reasons should be explained, and we want the
elections to be held via secret ballot paper and not through the show of
hands," D'Souza said.

Serula comunidade comprises the villages of Socorro, Salvador do Mundo, Penha
da Franca and Ecoxim part of Pomburpa.
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/goa/Ministers-kin-eyes-Serula-comunidade-poll-deferred-again/articleshow/18095533.cms