13-Jun-2013

Dear Friend,

People attract other people to themselves by promising them a good time, fame
and fortune. But whenever people promise good fortune free of cost we begin to
doubt and wonder where the catch is. Our life experiences tell us there is no
easy way of life, free from all pain. Jesus invited us to follow after him and
showed us how he did it. We appreciate our own Dads especially because they
have undergone so much for us. On Father's day let's thank God for being our
Abba, Father, and for giving us his son, Jesus! Have a 'thanksgiving weekend'
enjoying your Abba! Fr. Jude

Sunday Reflections: 12th Sunday: "To be my disciple take up your cross and
follow me." 23-Jun-2013
Readings: Zach. 12: 10-11, 13: 1Gal. 3: 26-29Luke 9: 18-24

The first reading from the prophet Zechariah has this key line: 'They will look
upon the one whom they have pierced', whose meaning is not clear in the
original text. However, the early church understood this to be a prophecy of
the crowd gazing at the pierced Jesus on the cross, or of the godless who
realized their rejection of Jesus at the Last Judgement. We could understand
this text to mean that the Church is a people that walks in the footsteps of
the crucified Christ. The image of the pierced Christ is not one of defeat and
despair, but of hope since God vindicated Jesus and raised Him from the dead.

What do you know of Jesus?
A poor illiterate man wanted to be baptized. The parish priest asked him many
questions to see whether he was fit for baptism. "Where was Jesus born? How
many apostles did he have? How many years did he live? Where did he die? The
poor man knew nothing of all these questions. Irritated, the priest then said,
"At least you know prayers like the Our Father and the I Believe?" The man
again shook his head. "What do you know then?" asked the priest flabbergasted.
The man explained, "Before I met Jesus I was a drunkard who beat up my wife and
children; I lost my job and was wasting my life." Then he continued, "But after
encountering Jesus, I've quit drinking. I work hard and have begun to love my
family. For me Jesus is my Saviour!"
Francis Gonsalves in 'Sunday Seeds for Daily Deeds'

In today's gospel Jesus puts the key question to his disciples and to the
crowd:  "Who do you say that I am?" This is a question that Jesus asks of every
person. Christianity is not a religion of the book nor of the Law but of a
Person, God's son Jesus. Who was Jesus to the crowds that followed him? To some
he was a prophet, John the Baptist, or Elijah. Who is Jesus to me right now? To
people today Jesus might be a wonder-worker, a superstar, a superman, a
revolutionary, a rabble-rouser, a mystery! To Jesus' question about his own
identity, Peter's answer was: "You are the Christ of God." This answer was
right not because Peter was clever or had studied the scriptures and figured it
out, or because of his superior intellect. Faith is not a matter of reasoning
or cleverness. Faith is a gift given from above. Peter gave the 'right answer'
to Jesus' question, but we must admit he hardly understood what he had said.
However, Peter had encountered Jesus and
 heard him and seen him work and observed him at prayer. Peter could assert
that Jesus was the Christ, the Messiah. Jesus spells out for Peter what being
Messiah meant: "Christ must suffer grievously, be rejected by the elders, be
put to death, and be raised up on the last day." What is said about the Christ
is applicable to every Christian. A Christian is called to be another Christ.
Just as Jesus was the Christ, 'Anointed one', so Christians are meant to be the
'anointed ones.' We are anointed by the same spirit. Jesus spells out what
being a follower entails. "If anyone wishes to be a follower of mine, let him
renounce himself, take up his cross every day and follow me." To be a Christian
is never a momentary experience, a once in a life time experience, but a daily
one. Jesus asks us to pick up our cross daily, not once in a way. Christianity
is not a religion which ends with the way of the cross but one which encounters
Jesus in every cross along
 the way. We are called to walk with Jesus, the anointed one as pilgrims
towards God's promise of the resurrection.

Wanted: True Followers of Jesus Christ
Sir Ernest Shackleton needed 28 volunteers for a dangerous mission to the South
Pole. So he placed the following advertisement in the London Times: "Wanted:
Persons for a dangerous journey. Small wages, bitter cold, long months of
complete darkness, constant danger, safe return doubtful, honour and
recognition if successful." Many sceptics were doubtful if he would get
volunteers. To their stunned disbelief, he was swamped by over 5000
applications from all over England. From these he selected 28 most eligible and
in spite of the anticipated hardships, all returned safely to honour and
recognition. -Jesus extends the same invitation to all his followers. It is
neither a call to take up arms, nor to embark on a hazardous expedition. But it
is an invitation to collaborate with him in establishing the Kingdom of God on
earth; it is a call to work with him in transforming the world and making it a
place God wants it to be. Of course this challenge is complex
 and demanding: "If anyone wishes to come after me, he must deny himself and
take up his cross daily and follow me." Countless people have faithfully and
generously responded over the past 2000 years, and have striven nobly to make
this a better world. Each of us is invited to follow in the footsteps of Jesus
for this same mission. What is our answer?
James Valladares in 'Your Words, O Lord, are Spirit, and They are Life.'

Father's Love has fashioned us
Once a boy of five was left alone with his father at bedtime. It had never
happened before. After some manoeuvring and a lot of fun, the father finally
got the little fellow into his night clothes, and was about to lift him into
bed when the child said, "But Dad, I have to say my prayers." He knelt down
besides his bed, joined his hands, raised his eyes to heaven and prayed: "Now I
lay me down to sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to keep; if I should die before I
wake, I pray my Lord my soul to take." That was his usual prayer, but tonight
he looked up at his dad, then raised his eyes to heaven and prayed, "Dear God
make me a big good man like my Daddy. Amen." In a moment he was in bed and in
five minutes asleep. And then the father knelt at his son's bedside and prayed.
"Dear God make me a great big good man like my son thinks I am." -I know a
beautiful test that says something like this: "When we were young, our fathers
knew everything, when we were
 teenagers we know everything, but when we get older we wish our father was
still there to ask him what he knows." Maybe some fathers can identify very
well with the first reading. Perhaps a child has really pierced their heart,
but later that same child may be the one who cares most for him with
'compassion'.
John Pichappilly in 'The Table of the Word'

Associating with failure or success?
The scene is a desolate street in London. It is a wet murky night and the rain
is bouncing off the street. A man walks down the street with his coat collar
high around his neck. He shivers with the cold and pulls his wet coat around
his body. He comes to a stop under a lamp post. Somewhere a dog whines and a
door bangs shut. Our hero takes a packet of cigarettes and as he lights one
exhales a long self-comforting whiff of smoke. He smiles to himself, slowly
gathers himself together and makes his way through deserted streets. And a
voice says from the screen: "You are never alone with a Strand cigarette." When
that advertisement first appeared on television in the early sixties many
people thought it was the opening of an Alfred Hitchcock thriller. It worked as
an interesting advertisement for a new cigarette. But Stand cigarettes were
taken off the market in a matter of weeks because they were associated with a
lonely man, a deserted street, a dismal
 night, and a run-down area. Who wants to associate themselves with a packet of
neglect? Nobody. People didn't buy the cigarette because they didn't want to
buy into the shabby world associated with it. Nobody wants to follow in the
footsteps of someone who is leading nowhere. Few people want to join a movement
primed for collapse. -If Jesus made no impact on people they would have no
reason to follow him. But people were ready to follow Jesus.  When Jesus
entered a room something happened. He generated something in people. He gave
them hope. He gave them new life. But who is this Jesus for you and me? "Who do
you say that I am?"
Denis McBride in 'Seasons of the Word'

Be Positive
Donald B. MacMillan, the Artic explorer, received a letter from an unknown
person, when setting out on an expedition to the far North. Inscribed on the
cover were the words: "To be opened when everything has gone dead wrong." -The
letter was not opened even after fifty years. MacMillan informed his friends
that during all the time nothing had gone dead wrong in his life. Whether you
think that everything is wrong or good in life is just an attitude. Choosing to
develop a positive attitude towards life leads to happiness.
G. Francis Xavier in 'Inspiring Stories'

Father's Day
I know a father who remembers the last time the youngest child would accept a
kiss on her way to school. I know a father who raised another man's child as
his own and made sure she never felt the lack of a father. I know a father who
is called 'stepfather' father and says it means 'to step in' when and where he
is needed. I know a father who is called 'father-in-law' and who loves his
children-in-law' as much as his own. I know a father whose son is in trouble
and who brought uncomfortable attention to his family and yet the father
continues to love and support his son praying for him daily. He even decided to
give up beer until his hurting son was doing better. I know a man who longed
for children of his own and when they didn't come, he fathered all the children
who called him 'coach' and 'teacher' and 'friend'. I know a father who was gone
too soon and whom I wish I had gotten to know better. People call me 'Father'.
Very often I sit down and think of
 my call to fashion the children of God. - The reality of our lives is that we
are known by our actions. How we treat one another is how we first know who we
are for ourselves and that is how others come to know us. It is our actions
that we will be known for. Let every one of us be reminded of who we are and
what our responsibilities are. Glory to you, O just Father, whose love was
pleased to fashion us. (Syrian Orthodox)
John Pichappilly in 'The table of the Word'

While thanking God for being our ABBA, father, let's try to be like our dad!

Fr. Jude Botelho
judebote...@yahoo.co.in

PS. The stories, incidents and anecdotes used in the reflections have been
collected over the years from books as well as from sources over the net and
from e-mails received. Every effort is made to acknowledge authors whenever
possible. If you send in stories or illustrations I would be grateful if you
could quote the source as well so that they can be acknowledged if used in
these reflections. These reflections are also available on my Web site
www.NetForLife.net Thank you.