WAKE UP AND SMELL THE COFFEE

margaret mascarenhas

Here we go again

Okay, I'd like the BJPgoa website to run that poll again. You know -- the
one about how many people think the roads of Goa have improved under the
Parrikar government.  I guess if the giant crater effect, contrasted with
huge protruding manhole constructions, constitutes an 'improvement' in the
unique BJP lexicon, then these are the best roads I've ever seen in the
history of my residence here.  Maybe they mean it in terms of a forced
improvement of driving skills, where the objective is to increase the
ability of citizens to navigate these roads without breaking their vehicle
suspension or their necks in the process.

After about a week of rain, 18th June Road was in pieces. I tried a detour
on the parallel roads, but they were in pieces too. To the inconvenience
of many, the Dhempe College road was closed for months, while workers conducted
some complicated-looking drainage work, followed by the construction of a
meaningless elevation spanning several metres over their drainage
work. This curious hill-thing is now a veritable obstacle course, since it
too has broken into pieces. In case you haven't noticed, this is how your
tax money is being spent year in and year out, irrespective of the
political incumbency.

Rumour has it that the Catholic and Hindu Brahmin elite, largely
responsible though their high profile BJP advocacy for the re-election of
Manohar Parrikar in Panjim, are less than delighted with the current
distribution of portfolios, which will necessitate their playing in the
sandbox with some very scruffy boys. They are starting to see the big
picture. And hey, I get their angst. I too like the idea of having a CM
who is not personally corrupt and who is clearly not a mental
midget. He's accessible and efficient. (He's also very adept at wooing
prominent members of the Catholic community) Personally, I think Manohar
Parrikar is the right man in the wrong party.  And, at the risk of boring
you, I will repeat my earlier mantra: some of you may not endorse the BJP
agenda which often smacks of communalism, but you have to acknowledge
this: at least they have one. And they pull together behind their man. You
don't see them behaving like morons, openly bickering over who gets to
lead the party, and trying to undermine one another.

And despite my deep depression after seeing Professor Mahale appear on a
front page BJP ad during the campaign, the alternatives seem either
completely unrealistic (Suraj party) or unpalatable in the extreme
(Congress, NCP, MGP, UDGP).

Which brings me to another rumour making the rounds: that certain MLAs
(four, maybe six) from the Congress are considering jumping ship into the
already polluted waters of the BJP bathtub. Whether it's true or not, it's
certainly believable, given what we have witnessed over the past ten
years, and even the rumour will serve to keep rogue elements with
portfolios on their toes. As for the wily Manohar Parrikar, the need to
manage yet another precarious coalition will certainly keep HIM on his
toes.  So, perhaps in end, we will actually have balance. Certainly, if
nothing else, we will witness an entertaining balancing act.

As an escape tactic, I have decided to immerse myself in fiction writing,
and finish at least one of the two books I've been working on. So you'll
be hearing from me only intermittently over the next couple of months. But
before I disengage from the ugly reality, I am raising a toast to Tarun
Tejpal, who, in spite of an unbelievable level of harassment and scant
support from the journalistic community in India, has stood his ground
with regard to the now infamous Tehelka tapes.

Reportedly, counsel for George Fernandes and Jaya Jaitly are now claiming
that the voice overs used by Tehelka on the tapes are "disparaging to
their clients' reputations". I mean, are they kidding? Who cares about
voice overs, when you have the visuals? Fellow journalist Anita Pratap
told me recently that as a result of the victimization of Tejpal, many
journalists are running scared, fearing the loss of their jobs. This does
not bode well for journalism in India. Or, for democracy.

And now, just in case the BJPgoa website doesn't run that poll again, let
me run it here: how many of you think the roads are better since the BJP
came into power in Goa?  Feel free to write in with your verdict to every
Goan newspaper and website you can think of. And while you're at it, send
a few letters to your local municipality department.

http://mmascgoa.tripod.com

To unsubscribe from Goanews Send a mail message to  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
containing the line:
'unsubscribe goanews'