Bruno at crossroads

By Anthony Marcus
anthonymarcus at rediffmail dot com

At Tilak Maidan (Vasco), on Saturday, November 9, Fransa Football
 Club chairman Francisco Pacheco better known as Mickky surprised
 Arjuna awardee Bruno Coutinho when he sought his services as coach.
 Mickky is known to have a good sense of humour but on that Saturday
 morning, he was not joking. Now that realisation has finally
 dawned, Bruno finds himself in a piquant situation where he does
 not want to hurt Vasco Sports Club officials, who have been more
 than just kind to him, nor does he want to rub Mickky, who is also
 the sports minister, on the wrong side. Anthony Marcus Mergulhao
 reports.

In the true sense of the word, the year 2002 has been a mixed bag
 for Goa’s favourite footballer, Bruno Coutinho. There was lots to
 cheer as he realised his childhood dream of winning India’s highest
 award for sporting excellence — Arjuna — a little while after he
 tied the knot to his long-time Anjuna-based sweetheart Neena Dias.
 But 2002, also saw Bruno inviting trouble for himself.

A minor  injury he sustained while indulging in his passion other
than  football — rock fishing — aggravated, forcing him to undergo
 an operation. The operation and subsequent carelessness on part of
 the former International forced him out of action for the longest
 time in his 13-year old football career. After failing to find
 favour with Salgaocar Sports Club, Bruno switched allegiance to
 Vasco Sports Club, a decision that warmed the cockles of his
 die-hard fans but disappointed the purists. Five months into the
 season, Bruno has not whole-heartedly practiced with the team,
 forget about playing a competitive match.

His name does not figure among the 20  players registered by Vasco
Sports Club for the first phase of the  NFL. And now he finds
himself in a tight-spot unable to decided  whether or not to take-up
the coaching job at Fransa Football Club.

 After the rather unfortunate and abrupt departure of Shabbir Ali,
 Fransa Football Club were on the look out for someone who could
 steer its wobbly ship. At first, controversial coa ’s name did the
 rounds but Fransa chairman Francis Pacheco alias Mickky was a lot
 more wiser from the Shabbir experience. “I do not want to burn my
 fingers again,” he told this paper referring to Chathunny’s
 controversial-yet-successful coaching assignments at Salgaocar
 Sports Club (1997), Dempo Sports Club (1999) and Churchill Bros
 (2001). At Tilak Maidan (Vasco), on Saturday, November 9, Mickky
 had a chance meeting with Bruno Coutinho when Vasco Sports Club
 locked horns with Fransa Football Club in a friendly match. Mickky
 lost no time in seeking Bruno’s services as coach, something that
 took the former International by total surprise. “

At first, I could  not believe the offer (of coaching),” says Bruno.
How things have  changed since then. And with each passing day, the
script takes a  dramatic shift. Mickky forces purists to raise their
eyebrows in  surprise when he says Bruno has already given his
consent to train  Fransa. “

Bruno is happy to take up this assignment. I have spoken
 to Vasco officials, all of whom have said they would release Bruno.
 I am just waiting for the official permission,” reveals Mickky. So
 confident is Mickky that Bruno will be Fransa’s next coach that he
 has stopped his search for a coach. “I am not looking beyond Bruno.
 He is ready to join even tomorrow,” informs Mickky adding that he
 has plans to send Bruno abroad to learn more about coaching. “Bruno
 can stay at Fransa as long as he is comfortable,” gushes Mickky
 hinting at a long-term association.

Even the fears of failure does  not prove to be a dampner. “Bruno
gave everything he had to be a  successful player. There is no
reason why he should not succeed as  a coach,” he says
matter-of-factly.

Bruno on the otherhand still  remains undecided. “Its a catch-22
situation,” he admits without  going into the nitty-gritty. If Bruno
agrees to fill the Fransa  Football Club coaching vacancy, it could
certainly mean a full stop  to his 13-year long glittering football
career that started with  Dempo Engineering, peaked at Salgaocar’s
and (possibly) ter that at  Fransa Football Club, Bruno will have to
concentrate on the  coaching job alone. “Bruno will not be the
player-cum-coach.

 I want  a full time coach,” he insists. Bruno is the first one to
 admit  that his Fransa decision could possibly signal the end of
 his playing career. “I want to play this season. That is basically
 why I opted out of Salgaocar’s. But the situation is different now.
 If I do not play this season, it will be extremely difficult to
 make a comeback (next year),” says Bruno perhaps not realising that
 inadvertently he admits he will have to call it quits before
 joining Fransa.

Judging by Bruno’s poor fitness now and Vasco
 Sports Club’s relative strength upfront, it will take more than
 just herculean efforts for Bruno to break into the side. He has put
 on too much of weight and there are no signs that he will resume
 serious training at the earliest. “I’ve put on weight simply
 because I’ve not been able to train. I cannot even do some
 sand-running to trim down. No sooner I jog, the swelling
 re-appears. Its a bit frustrating,” he says.

 Does that mean  goodbye? “

 Its too early to say anything. Give me some time,” he
 insists. The scene is murkier but Bruno’s eyes tell a tale. That
 hunger to succeed against all odds has diminished. There is not an
 iota of doubt that Bruno Coutinho has been one of the best
 footballer Goa has ever produced and there will not be another
 player of his calibre for atleast a while. But how far he will be
 successful as a coach, remains to be seen. As a matter of fact,
 Bruno’s contemporaries — Savio Madeira (Salgaocar) and Derrick
 Pereira (Vasco) — both spent time learning the tricks of the
 coaching trade before jumping on the coaching bandwagon. Whatever
 the case may be, one thing is sure. Bruno’s decision will have
 far-reaching consequences, beyond even where Bruno can possibly
 think of.