On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 6:19 PM, Michael Homer <mich...@gobolinux.org>wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 25, 2013 at 6:34 AM, Trans <transf...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Why did Gobo go with its own init system instead of using systemd? Would
> the
> > same decision be made now?
> Lack of plutonium for the DeLorean. I think systemd would be pragmatic
> now, particularly because udev is going to be increasingly difficult
> to run otherwise.

Lol. I've been reading up on systemd today and whole state of affairs with
that fiasco. It's really quite amazing. Everyone that has worked with it
seems to rave over the usability of RUnit and subsequently isn't too happy
about systemd. Nevertheless systemd have become a juggernaut that seemingly
can't be stopped. There are very good things about systemd of course,
mainly it is fast, but also it has a lot of tentacles into other systems.
This can be good in that it makes it very feature rich, but also bad, as it
is not very "Unix Way" --it has many dependencies and a much more complex
code base. We might have been able to get away with ignoring systemd, but
with it's merger with udev, which you allude to, looks like the writing is
on the wall.

-trans