Greetings, everybody!

After several months of development, testing, and polishing, we are pleased
to announce the release of GoboLinux 016.

GoboLinux is an alternative Linux distribution that was born in 2002 from
the desire to try new approaches for filesystem organization within the
Linux ecosystem.  As a result, the distro introduced a novel filesystem
hierarchy that enabled a sound representation of all system programs,
without running into the problems that conventional package managers do.

This release continues to pave the road for new experiments: we are
featuring Runner, a virtualization tool of our own that creates views of
the /System/Index tree based on the Dependencies file of each program.
Instead of using full-fledged containers just to avoid library conflicts
when running an executable, Runner builds a custom mount table for the
process by dynamically overlaying the correct parts of the /Programs tree
on /System/Index -- something that's only feasible thanks to GoboLinux'
filesystem hierarchy rearrangement.

GoboLinux 016 also marks the debut of GoboNet, our own daemon-free network
manager. GoboNet is a simple wireless networking tool that "just works" in
the common case and doesn't get in the way when you need to tweak things
yourself. It does not use DBus or any daemon of its own: it only launches
the DHCP client to handle dynamic IP addresses, manages Wi-Fi passwords and
provides a command-line API for ease of use and scripting.

GoboLinux 016 features a minimalistic yet comfortable desktop based on the
Awesome window manager. Awesome is well-known as an excellent tiling WM,
but its Lua scripting capabilities makes it extremely customizable. In
Gobo, we tuned it so it ships with a setup based on floating windows which
should be familiar to all users, while keeping all the power features of
Awesome at hand. The desktop environment also features some widgets
developed in-house that integrate nicely with the no-frills philosophy of
GoboLinux. That includes a wi-fi widget that uses GoboNet, a battery widget
indicator, and a custom audio widget that launches and communicates with
AlsaMixer.

The ISO is available for downloading at http://gobolinux.org

We hope you enjoy it as much as we do!

Lucas and Hisham, on behalf of the GoboLinux team